How can I protect my game

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:00 pm

You can't run the javascript through advanced optimisations right now, because it breaks the code. I'm hoping to fix that in a future release.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Making entirely free games is cool but what about the current trend to purchase in-app assets/abilities but making the game free to play and beat? I'm not sure how this could be accomplished in a secure way using Construct2 in its current form (or really in a future form) without involving some server-side component which would handle the mapping of a payment to an asset and serve the asset to the client. Simply checking for assets in the client-side javascript could easily be hacked just by editing the js emitted by CS2. Does anyone have ideas on this?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Even Zynga and others have to deal with cheating !

Just take few minutes to find a software or tutorials to do so !

For example (found in 2 minutes) :
//http://cheating-games.blogspot.com/2011/09/empire-and-allies-hack-tool-vip-v52.html//

And same thing as you know with the appstore ! Everything is hackable.

The only thing to think is: Do cheaters alter the games of non cheaters ! What kind of proportion would they represent and is it worth to spend ressources on that.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:29 pm

[QUOTE=Mipey] Can't stop players from cheating. In fact, why bother? It is their choice how they want to play the game. If they want to ruin their enjoyment by giving themselves unlimited health and money just to blitz through the whole game, let 'em. It is their choice.

Focus your energy on something more worthwhile.[/QUOTE]

I thought the concern was more along the lines of your work being stolen. Granted, the thief would have to be a C2 user, but it's still not a nice thought.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 pm

I suppose you all have a point about just letting the cheaters cheat. But I'm still looking for a way to protect in-game assets which would be for sale. For the project I'm working on these assets could be either event handlers (abilities) or images (items) or both. So far a possible approach seems to be to make calls to a server-component which would return the asset so that it could be run/used in game. I'm not yet sure how this would be done with Construct2 though. Perhaps some sort of plugin would be in order.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:50 pm

I looked everywhere for this answer but I couldn't find it.
I know that when Google put their sophisticated Doodles, it's pretty hard to understand the source code.

Some time in the past they added a Doodle where you could play guitar that I really liked it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:10 pm

all that can really be said on this topic is

1 - if you put it on the internet you no longer have full control over it. Accept it and expect it. Your graphics and things WILL be ripped regardless if someone wants em.

2 - Never trust the client. Never ever... ever... under any circumstance. Refer to #1 if you wonder why. If its important you need to have it verified, stored, sent by, etc by a server YOU control.

It all comes down to this. Once you put anythin (anything) on the internet you cant control it anymore. It can end up anywhere and everywhere and theres absolutely nothing you can do about it.

This is the part most major media (games especially) companies have forgot: Dont try so hard to protect your media that you make it harder for yourself or your users to access. Only do as much as you need to do to keep it secure from users that prolly dont care anyway. The rest WILL get it regardless of what you do. All over protection does is make it harder for the legit users. The rest have already bypassed or removed it so it doesnt bother them anymore.

The best approach you can take is to look at commercial mmos as the guideline. Make users login to access the game then refer to #2. How many mmos have you seen hacked? How many paid mmos can you get a hack and play for free on retail servers?

Exactly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 pm

@aridale - this is a really old post. FYI some of the details are out of date now. For example I earlier said we don't have obfuscation, but this has since been added and we support sophisticated advanced obfuscation by Google Closure Compiler, enabled by default. This helps quite a lot.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:16 pm

yeah I know but its still somethin to think about. It goes beyond just tryin to keep your js unreadable. =D
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General