How come C2 games don't "lift off"?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Tap the ball, control it, avoid touching spikes and score higher!
  • I've seen the showcase of buildbox (pricy as hell!!!), and GameMaker's showcase, and there are a LOT of very famous games in there...

Yet, I only know 3 semi-well known games, and only because I'm a member of the C2 (The next penelope, Cosmochoria and Airscape).

I refuse to believe the community here is less competent than GameMaker's and BuildBox's community, which leaves me really buffled...

On a sidenote, I absolute LOVE C2, although I'm creating very simple games for now..

• What are the famous Buildbox Games?

Well, GameMaker has been around since 1999 so it's Userbase is larger and more proficient in the tool already. The more people use the Software, the higher the Chances that one of the games coming out is going to be a success

• I think it also depends on how well the games are promoted by for example buildbox and Gamemaker. One problem is that the C2 showcase isn't very updated, and they could update the showcase with some recent released well made games made with C2, that would be both beneficial for Scirra and the gamesdevs.

• What are the famous Buildbox Games?

Well, GameMaker has been around since 1999 so it's Userbase is larger and more proficient in the tool already. The more people use the Software, the higher the Chances that one of the games coming out is going to be a success

Most notable is Color Switch and Phases. A great deal of their games is published with SketchApp with hundreds of thousands of downloads...

And BuildBox is the newest app in the collection...

• Both are free... I don't know, i think what tunepunk said definitely has some value to it as well The engine itself gives you all the tools you need, to make a successful title, it all depends on the talent behind the screen. You wouldn't attribute Picasso's Talent to his brushes or pens either.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

just imagine if flappy bird had +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

• that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol

• > that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

> just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

> or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

>

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol

name one of that big c2 games ?!

• mahdi71

Please enlighten us regarding all the bugs you say C2 is full of.

• >

> > that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

> > just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

> > or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

> >

> This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

>

> ~Sol

>

The game I'm working on is pretty big... unlimited tile generation, thousands of moving objects, complex math, open world... how much bigger do you want?

~Sol

• My game probably isn't "huge" when it comes to logic (it's a sidescrolling horror-survival game) but it uses quite a lot of effects and animations and so far i haven't had any issues previewing in NW.js... And C2 never crashed on me once.

My perspective is this: i see these kind of performance posts and threads pop up all the time and it made me doubt my engine of choice in the past but first, as i said, i've never experienced any difficulties so far and second: I'm not a coder. I've tried my hand at many game creation software, a lot of them who are being discussed on here regularly. I always returned to C2, because it's the only package where i got the results i wanted and which has the most intuitive UI in my opinion (i'm not just talking about the Event Editor but about the UI in general).

So i had two options: either make my game using software that i feel comfortable with and end up with SOMETHING in the end, maybe risking some headaches when it comes to performance or whatever OR go with a software that i don't even like and, probably, give up in the end because i'm too simple-minded to use it and have no game done.

Easy choice for me. No engine is perfect. Often times you trade ease of use for features and vice versa. But if you browse any forum, GameMaker, Unity, Stencyl etc., you'll see that there are always complaints by the users. So yeah, if you still want some flexibility in your game and not just some templates where you can paste your own graphics in, it really doesn't get much easier to achieve your dream than C2.

• >

> > that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.

> > just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit

> > or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

> >

> This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

>

> ~Sol

>

SoldjahBoy - I can tell you that the Calculator of windows has 0 bugs. XD

mahdi71 - On the mobile platform, the most popular I heard is "Ignatius" and it is made on C2. And there are other games that I don't know that is more popular than Ignatius.

• mahdi71

Please enlighten us regarding all the bugs you say C2 is full of.

there are alot, but i name a few :

http://www.scirra.com/labs/multiplayer/ghostshooter/

join scirra's own multiplayer demo and try to stay connected more then 30 minutes ! if you are still connected then you have a record!

and with that plugin there is alot more bugs too, like if server internet get down then server side triggers like (on disconnected) dont act or server think its still in the game !!! but it really disconnected !

what about websocket ? why is connected event not working !!

oh, dont let me start on compiler stuff : so scirra suggest us to use xdk ! but its reallllly worst then cocoon !

why ? becuase some times when you compile music dosn't work ! and you have to stop your update untill they get fix it !!

or if you want to use cocoon (canvast+) other construct 2 stuff don't work !

there is alot of problems in your way ! and then you realize the engine is not design well its dosn't act as a game engine its act like a problem ! and the fact there is no hit with c2 games will prove my word

• mahdi71 - I hate to admit it but I totally agree. There are so many bugs in C2 to make multiplayer games but aside from that no problems here.

Edit : But there are workarounds to it and you can do those if you are experienced enough.

• [quote:d3v9u7hr]@SoldjahBoy - I can tell you that the Calculator of windows has 0 bugs. XD

ORLY?...lol

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)