How come C2 games don't "lift off"?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:45 pm

I've seen the showcase of buildbox (pricy as hell!!!), and GameMaker's showcase, and there are a LOT of very famous games in there...

Yet, I only know 3 semi-well known games, and only because I'm a member of the C2 (The next penelope, Cosmochoria and Airscape).

I refuse to believe the community here is less competent than GameMaker's and BuildBox's community, which leaves me really buffled...

On a sidenote, I absolute LOVE C2, although I'm creating very simple games for now..
B
18
S
7
G
1
Posts: 160
Reputation: 1,934

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:20 pm

What are the famous Buildbox Games?

Well, GameMaker has been around since 1999 so it's Userbase is larger and more proficient in the tool already. The more people use the Software, the higher the Chances that one of the games coming out is going to be a success ;)
B
18
S
7
G
2
Posts: 113
Reputation: 2,210

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:30 pm

I think it also depends on how well the games are promoted by for example buildbox and Gamemaker. One problem is that the C2 showcase isn't very updated, and they could update the showcase with some recent released well made games made with C2, that would be both beneficial for Scirra and the gamesdevs.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
42
S
18
G
19
Posts: 1,060
Reputation: 14,054

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:55 pm

joel87 wrote:What are the famous Buildbox Games?

Well, GameMaker has been around since 1999 so it's Userbase is larger and more proficient in the tool already. The more people use the Software, the higher the Chances that one of the games coming out is going to be a success ;)


Most notable is Color Switch and Phases. A great deal of their games is published with SketchApp with hundreds of thousands of downloads...
And BuildBox is the newest app in the collection...
B
18
S
7
G
1
Posts: 160
Reputation: 1,934

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Both are free... I don't know, i think what tunepunk said definitely has some value to it as well :) There are probably successful titles out there but we just don't know about them ;) Always depends on how you define "success" as well. If you mean like big indie hits like Hotline Miami or something similiar, i agree, there haven't been any of those made with Construct yet but it'll be only a matter of time ;) The engine itself gives you all the tools you need, to make a successful title, it all depends on the talent behind the screen. You wouldn't attribute Picasso's Talent to his brushes or pens either.
B
18
S
7
G
2
Posts: 113
Reputation: 2,210

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 pm

that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird had +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.
Last edited by mahdi71 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
16
S
6
Posts: 243
Reputation: 1,755

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:49 pm

mahdi71 wrote:that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
Moderator
B
84
S
34
G
40
Posts: 3,032
Reputation: 30,499

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:54 pm

SoldjahBoy wrote:
mahdi71 wrote:that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol

name one of that big c2 games ?!
B
16
S
6
Posts: 243
Reputation: 1,755

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:58 pm

@mahdi71

Please enlighten us regarding all the bugs you say C2 is full of.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
Moderator
B
137
S
31
G
87
Posts: 5,556
Reputation: 60,456

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:00 pm

mahdi71 wrote:
SoldjahBoy wrote:
mahdi71 wrote:that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol

name one of that big c2 games ?!


The game I'm working on is pretty big... unlimited tile generation, thousands of moving objects, complex math, open world... how much bigger do you want?

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
Moderator
B
84
S
34
G
40
Posts: 3,032
Reputation: 30,499

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests