How come C2 games don't "lift off"?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:10 pm

My game probably isn't "huge" when it comes to logic (it's a sidescrolling horror-survival game) but it uses quite a lot of effects and animations and so far i haven't had any issues previewing in NW.js... And C2 never crashed on me once.

My perspective is this: i see these kind of performance posts and threads pop up all the time and it made me doubt my engine of choice in the past but first, as i said, i've never experienced any difficulties so far and second: I'm not a coder. I've tried my hand at many game creation software, a lot of them who are being discussed on here regularly. I always returned to C2, because it's the only package where i got the results i wanted and which has the most intuitive UI in my opinion (i'm not just talking about the Event Editor but about the UI in general).

So i had two options: either make my game using software that i feel comfortable with and end up with SOMETHING in the end, maybe risking some headaches when it comes to performance or whatever OR go with a software that i don't even like and, probably, give up in the end because i'm too simple-minded to use it and have no game done.

Easy choice for me. No engine is perfect. Often times you trade ease of use for features and vice versa. But if you browse any forum, GameMaker, Unity, Stencyl etc., you'll see that there are always complaints by the users. So yeah, if you still want some flexibility in your game and not just some templates where you can paste your own graphics in, it really doesn't get much easier to achieve your dream than C2.
B
15
S
5
G
1
Posts: 85
Reputation: 1,222

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:22 pm

mahdi71 wrote:
SoldjahBoy wrote:
mahdi71 wrote:that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird was +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.

This is a horrible generalisation at best... I've seen plenty of larger C2 games with perfect performance. It's how you set up your events and how efficient your design is... it's nothing to do with C2. Also... bugs? Those are rare, but name one piece of software that has zero bugs?

~Sol

name one of that big c2 games ?!


@SoldjahBoy - I can tell you that the Calculator of windows has 0 bugs. XD
@mahdi71 - On the mobile platform, the most popular I heard is "Ignatius" and it is made on C2. And there are other games that I don't know that is more popular than Ignatius.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
64
S
19
G
90
Posts: 1,119
Reputation: 59,667

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:23 pm

zenox98 wrote:@mahdi71

Please enlighten us regarding all the bugs you say C2 is full of.

there are alot, but i name a few :
http://www.scirra.com/labs/multiplayer/ghostshooter/
join scirra's own multiplayer demo and try to stay connected more then 30 minutes ! if you are still connected then you have a record!
and with that plugin there is alot more bugs too, like if server internet get down then server side triggers like (on disconnected) dont act or server think its still in the game !!! but it really disconnected !
what about websocket ? why is connected event not working !!
oh, dont let me start on compiler stuff : so scirra suggest us to use xdk ! but its reallllly worst then cocoon !
why ? becuase some times when you compile music dosn't work ! and you have to stop your update untill they get fix it !!
or if you want to use cocoon (canvast+) other construct 2 stuff don't work !
there is alot of problems in your way ! and then you realize the engine is not design well its dosn't act as a game engine its act like a problem ! and the fact there is no hit with c2 games will prove my word
B
16
S
6
Posts: 243
Reputation: 1,755

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:27 pm

@mahdi71 - I hate to admit it but I totally agree. There are so many bugs in C2 to make multiplayer games but aside from that no problems here.

Edit : But there are workarounds to it and you can do those if you are experienced enough.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
64
S
19
G
90
Posts: 1,119
Reputation: 59,667

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:31 pm

@SoldjahBoy - I can tell you that the Calculator of windows has 0 bugs. XD

ORLY?...lol ;)

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
Moderator
B
83
S
34
G
40
Posts: 3,032
Reputation: 30,474

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:35 pm

@SoldjahBoy - Lol. You went to all the trouble just to prove me wrong. I stand corrected.
Last edited by chadorireborn on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
64
S
19
G
90
Posts: 1,119
Reputation: 59,667

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:37 pm

chadorireborn wrote:@SoldjahBoy - Lol. You went to all the trouble just to prove me wrong.

Actually no... I just happened to remember that calc has had a long standing bug with that particular sum. It was just funny luck you used that as an example haha. XD

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
Moderator
B
83
S
34
G
40
Posts: 3,032
Reputation: 30,474

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:17 pm

mahdi71 wrote:that because c2 is full of bugs and don't give us a good performance for big games and don't give us a good size for little games so we can not have nice little game with a small size to be a hit or a big game with a smooth gameplay.
just imagine if flappy bird had +30 mg size ! it simply coudn't be a hit
or if clash of clans didnt have a smooth game play.



Color Switch is 32mb. Didn't seem to scare anyone...
B
18
S
7
G
1
Posts: 157
Reputation: 1,928

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 am

@trueicecold there are more games for sure but scirra's self promoting in this area is like when you make a party at home and pop corns fall under the sofa and after sooome time you realise their presence. with other words is some kind of forgotten..ignatius, super ubie land , where is my helmet are some games. They can make a slideshow with games under development right now i saw many outstanding games under development with c2 so why not? other engines do that like ghost song ( under development) or hyper light drifter (when it was under development) why not in here? "Graveyard Goldmine", "Out Of", "Sombrero" are great pieces of artstyle at least..
B
18
S
3
G
1
Posts: 248
Reputation: 2,353

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:04 pm

my input:

1. Self promote your game. If you work in the dark for months/years and barely show your product then no one will know about it
2. Sole bad performance I ever had with C2 was my own damn fault for not knowing how to properly use it
3. Oh, speaking of performance, also nw but that was fixed and it was out of Scirra's control
4. Community is very helpful. Have some experience with other communities and I've been advancing faster here
5. Is not because C2 is easier to use that you don't need game logic and a deep understanding, easier to use but easier to mess up things as well

So far, I can say that every design idea I had for my game I've been able to do it without losing performance. is not always easy but C2 is in overall a really good engine
B
43
S
12
G
14
Posts: 488
Reputation: 10,570

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests