Post » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm working on a Rpg.

Gonna take a "while"

I'm gonna upload some of it to the arcade when i got it right
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:49 pm

[QUOTE=Leaston] [QUOTE=Bob Thulfram]Not that there is anything wrong with the French. They make ... Arturia Storm. [/QUOTE]
Wow, that's a blast from the past...Arturia Storm! I bought 1 and 2 from them and was keen on getting 3, but found their support sadly lacking and the DRM they imposed, absolutely dreadful. I had so many problems getting it to authenticate and subsequently run, with little or no help from the devs, I finally gave up and wrote off the money I'd paid. Sad really. It was an amazing product when it worked though. I still have the boxes somewhere in the loft too.

Sorry for the ot comments [/QUOTE]

I'm using Storm 3 and it works just fine. However, I had to do a lot of fiddling and dialog with the Arturia people to get it to work. The trick is that you have to put it in a Windows 7 compatibility box and set it for Windows 2000. I think these days Arturia has a lot of support but they didn't back then.

What I like about it the most is that it has a bunch of long in-app tutorials that walk you through various dance music styles. Very innovative. They also wrote it in Java which was also a problem because you had to install Java! Their samples were also quite contemporary. Lucky for them, they've done very well with their tactic of emulating old synths. Definitely cool. But funky. And there won't be a Storm 4.

Not necessarily OT since any good RPG has to have lots of music.
Check out my HTML5 Firefox OS Game Programming and Game Playing blog at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/ and my book on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZUYIGO. I wrote a newer post on using Construct for Firefox OS at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/201 ... -game.html.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:43 pm

@ metal_x   so dont make a crappy boring turn based system XD :P use real time combat man. ^_^
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:32 pm

[QUOTE=Bob Thulfram]I'm using Storm 3 and it works just fine. However, I had to do a lot of fiddling and dialog with the Arturia people to get it to work. The trick is that you have to put it in a Windows 7 compatibility box and set it for Windows 2000. I think these days Arturia has a lot of support but they didn't back then.[/QUOTE]
That makes sense as 3 has been out for quite some time now and Windows 7 can be picky with what it will run natively. I noticed Arturia went on to develop various other synths and instruments after Storm. Technically, their products sound amazing and even just playing with the early versions of Storm could make a novice sound quite good.

[QUOTE=Bob Thulfram]What I like about it the most is that it has a bunch of long in-app tutorials that walk you through various dance music styles. Very innovative. They also wrote it in Java which was also a problem because you had to install Java! Their samples were also quite contemporary. Lucky for them, they've done very well with their tactic of emulating old synths. Definitely cool. But funky. And there won't be a Storm 4.[/QUOTE]
I seem to remember 1 or 2 had some tutorials as you describe and they were very well done. It's a shame Storm 4 won't be produced as they got some outstanding reviews in the early days. If even non-musicians like me were willing to buy Storm, they must have been doing something right. I think their prices were reasonable too for the quality of the software (issues with drm notwithstanding).

Thanks for the mention of Arturia Storm Bob, I have some good memories of spending many hours with that software

Lea.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I believe the complexity of making dialogues box within C2, might be one of the reasons behind the lack of rpg in the scirraarcade.

beside that!, making an rpg is very complex, even it's ease to program from the first glance, the story itself and designing npc and other system formula took many time before release.

prinsukun2012-04-22 22:03:47
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 am

I actually had a decently working ARPG engine going for CC, with dialogue boxes, combat, stat growth, inventory, map warping, allies, save system, and a couple other neat features. Unfortunately, all these systems had to be tied together and so there was a lot of planning involved and integration (and headaches). I also had several revisions in an attempt to streamline everything and minimize the amount of events used.

But the engine is only the foundation, and houses are built with far more than just the concrete beneath them. Possibly an RPG's most important piece is its story, and stories themselves take a lot of work to develop as well. Then you've gotta conceptualize and create all the assets that any game would need. Hero and enemy sprites, environment sprites, various sound effects, music, fonts... goes on and on.

That said, I'm sure there are a few people here with an RPG in development. C2 is still really young though, and large ambitious games take a long time to create, so not seeing any of those is to be expected at this point in time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 am

Oh, how could i forget, Anthony Kojimas' "This is cute" game definately qualifies as an Rpg! Albeit a small one but it has the dialogue, questing, item management etc.
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:11 am

I posted the rpg I'm working on called "Brin" a week or two before you created this topic. It was only a week or two in at the time but it is much more solid now and has a lot more features. Planning to update to a new version in the next few days. Hope to see a lot more rpg's out there soon.
B
S

Post » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 am

I'm also making an (mmo)RPG for the upcoming 64Digits RPG competition. The basic concept is here, which I will be updating real soon for something proper. But I've played around with the technology, and the plugins (including the SocketIO, Chat and Z-sort plugin) work together great to make an mmorpg. I've got a simple prototype going which'll allow up to 200 players/monsters on the screen without straining one CPU too much.

But yeah, the lack of rpgs is probably because it's one of those things that usually require a lot of time investment and so not many have been developed yet.valkyriegames2012-04-24 11:15:55
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:27 pm

I was going to make my next flash game be a diablo2 style hack and slash rpg( of which i was totally prepared, and qualified to make), but then i found construct and decided to see where that would take me   ^^
it was very alluring being that I dont know @#$#@ about how to do physics/etc
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Website Issues and Feedback