How did you hear about Scirra?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:49 pm

I think it was on 'demo-stuff' disk that i got with a gaming magazine.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm

I was looking for alternatives to Game Maker. I didn't hate it or anything, but got off to a bad start with it and could never truly learn it well enough to make the games I was thinking up. So I was looking for a fresh start. I literally typed into google, "Game maker alternatives" and came across this: http://gamemakerblog.com/2009/01/05/5-reasons-why-construct-is-better-than-game-maker/

I liked what I saw and decided to join up here. Seems pretty nice so far.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:22 pm

Was looking for alternatives to MMF and discovered Construct in a MMF vs. Construct vs. GM thread. Almost everyone there said they used to use MMF and switched to Construct so I thought I'd check it out.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 pm

When I first heard about Construct I was frequenting The Daily Click, and was using MMF2, back when it was brand spanking new (I had been using TF and MMF since way back too). At the time it seemed like an inferior carbon copy to me and the requirement to install a c++ element was off-putting to me, so I quickly forgot about it.

Later on I heard about it again. I decided to give it a go again and tried it and quickly moved over to using Construct permanently and by extention joining up on the Scirra forums etc. =)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 pm

I had tried and bought gamemaker a long time ago, and it started slowing down when I tried to do bezier curves, after trying to use less complex equations, it had 0 impact on performance. After further testing I realized it didn't matter if you were just doing 2+2, a few hundred commands was all it took to destroy it.   I think I moved on to other projects, some musical, some animation, and I don't even remember what I had in mind when I did the google search that day, but I think I was about to start trying to learn to program c++ and directx to do it...yeah, I think I was going to learn the darksdk(from darkbasic), and I think I just said, "there's got to be something like game maker, but better", and typed something along the lines of " game making tool" or something, and the rest is history. Bumpmapping?! Pixel shaders?!, physics)!... I knew I had found something special by the time I was done with ghost shooter, but i had no idea how much it'd change everything. Not just from a game design standpoint, but like the course of my life, basically.

Similarly strange in retrospect is that learning c++ which has similarly opened up new opportunities to pursue was just by the smallest chance. I think I had looked at the sdk tutorial for a moment at one point, had no idea what the hell was going on, and wrote it off as too intimidatingly out of my league, but by chance I asked a question in chat, and soljah boy suggested I try the sdk. I hadn't the slightest consideration of the sdk as an option, and I told soljah boy i knew barely anything about programming, he told me someone who had made a plugin said the same thing, can't remember who or what plugin...but damn. Providence...and by providence I mean dumb lucklucid2011-07-05 08:29:43
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 am

[QUOTE=lucid] I had tried and bought gamemaker a long time ago, and it started slowing down when I tried to do bezier curves, after trying to use less complex equations, it had 0 impact on performance. After further testing I realized it didn't matter if you were just doing 2+2, a few hundred commands was all it took to destroy it.   I think I moved on to other projects, some musical, some animation, and I don't even remember what I had in mind when I did the google search that day, but I think I was about to start trying to learn to program c++ and directx to do it...yeah, I think I was going to learn the darksdk, and I think I just said, "there's got to be something like game maker, but better", and typed something along the lines of " game making tool" or something, and the rest is history. Bumpmapping?! Pixel shaders?!, physics)!... I knew I had found something special by the time I was done with ghost shooter, but i had no idea how much it'd change everything. Not just from a game design standpoint, but like the course of my life, basically.

Similarly strange in retrospect is that learning c++ which has similarly opened up new opportunities to pursue was just by the smallest chance. I think I had looked at the sdk tutorial for a moment at one point, had no idea what the hell was going on, and wrote it off as too intimidatingly out of my league, but by chance I asked a question in chat, and soljah boy suggested I try the sdk. I hadn't the slightest consideration of the sdk as an option, and I told soljah boy i knew barely anything about programming, he told me someone who had made a plugin said the same thing, can't remember who or what plugin...but damn. Providence...and by providence I mean dumb luck[/QUOTE]
i woudlnt expect such an interesting (if not dramatic - in a positive way) story. This can be quoted on the backside of the Construct box even they ever il get published.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:04 am

Pretty sure there was already a thread about this years ago, but what the heck... a fresh start is always good.

I was looking for a demo for MMF at the time that was made by Tigerworks (Ashleys old "name"), and stumbled on to Construct. At the time I think we were very early beta stages (pre 0.5 or maybe even earlier than that!) and I immediately preferred Construct for many reasons.

Since then I have been honoured with a trusty ban-hammer, and have been around to see the community and the software evolove and grow.

And just when you think I'm not looking... I will see you while I lurk... like ceiling cat, only scarier.

@lucid
I remember that day... you still insist on making this all because of me but I didn't do jack except give you a nudge of encouragement. You have done all the hard work and made it happen. You don't have anyone to thank but yourself, since you are awesome and all that good stuff. :)

~SolSoldjahBoy2011-07-05 11:10:25
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am

On The Daily Clickalspal2011-07-05 11:50:56
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:54 am

I've been trying to make 3D games in Blender for a couple of years until I realized that the game engine wasn't really optimized to make games I'd like to do. So I started to look for a 2D game editor and Google introduced me to Construct :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Some forum, I don't remember properly. Before that I used to make games in Flash, and AS3 was new at that time and I had a tough time understanding it so I wanted to switch. I googled for 'game creator' or something like that and found Construct recommended on some forum.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic