How do I 2d fighting game

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:58 pm

If you feel more comfortable with gamemaker, you should use it. The tool that you know better is probably the one that will produce the best results. And gamemaker has many advanced features, it's a powerful engine. But it does rely on scripting. You won't go far with out using its native code, which does involve syntax.

I personally can't get to learn any programming language, I understand the basics but for the love of God, I can't remember any of the syntax. Every time I read or see something on a tutorial, I forget it in just a few seconds!
But C2 has a very intelligent way around syntax, it lets you connect logical pieces together and it produces the code for you. When stuff need to be written, most of the times the syntax is already there, just point to the object that you are interested to and access all of its available expressions. Then, point to the next object and link them together... No need to remember any syntax. And if you mistype something, the auto-correct system is intelligent enough to point you to your error.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 am

What a wonderful short story ellios i enjoyed that explanation about construct 2 . What kinda games you made with it so far?
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 am

eli0s wrote:I understand the basics but for the love of God, I can't remember any of the syntax.

I feel you bro.
lilvee1989 wrote:What kinda games you made with it so far?

I made 7 which all abandoned. One of them is 2D fighting game, a street fighter-esque, which seemingly very possible to do. Working on the 8th one, which is my dream game to make, thanks to the previous 7, I have learn a lot to an extent that now it is possible for me to do something considerably as complex as CCG.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:20 am

What do you mean abandoned ? As in what happen?
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 am

I have been using gamemaker since it came out but, sorry to say gamemaker is not up to Construct 2 standard. C2 is out of this galaxy, only problem with you young people is everything should available so all you do is click and bingo game made, million of doss made. Well there is nothing easy but if you take your time learning C2 is best. This old-man knows what he been talking about. gamemaker is still baby while C2 is master tool only your imagination is limit.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 am

lilvee1989 wrote:What do you mean abandoned ? As in what happen?

Some sort of "power creep" in terms of knowledge, because when I start with C2, the existing users encourage to start small, which I did, and very glad I did that! As I develop, things become clearer, so I constantly moved on into something more complex which is the reason the "lesser" game being abandoned.
The previous 7 are not really abandoned, if only I have the drive to complete them I can roll them out anytime, what is lacking for me now is "time". As a non-coder, I rather spent my time on learning C2 until I master it than spending my time doing arts to complete my small games, which doing arts is something that I'm kind of better at but time consuming, at least a much more developed skill compared to my coding ability.

Posted my first game screenshot long ago, nostalgic lol.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Lordshiva I guess the only reason I was thinking gamemaker was because I heard it was more powerful in doing complex things and has more exporting options such as standalone exe file
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Also I was told that construct 2 cant handle large game development and that its more for short games
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm

lilvee1989 wrote:Lordshiva I guess the only reason I was thinking gamemaker was because I heard it was more powerful in doing complex things and has more exporting options such as standalone exe file

lilvee1989 wrote:Also I was told that construct 2 cant handle large game development and that its more for short games

That comes from GameMaker community right? Well, here you will heard and told the total opposite.

Anyway tools will always be tools, depends on how compatible you are with, choose what's best for you, don't let people make decision for you. Killing slime will work either using sword or bow, it's up to the character.

I have no programming skill before this, there are reason why C2 fits person like me the best. There are reasons why I never look back at gamemaker. So, find your reasons, believe it and stick with it. Feel the force Luke!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Why you never look back at gamemaker may I ask ?
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?