How do I Assign Array Values Randomly But With Purpose?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Hello and thanks for looking,

I wasn't sure how to word the topic, apologies for that. I'm trying to assign all the X values in an array to a random number between 0 and 4, which I did using 'For Each X Element--> Set Value At Array.CurX to int(Random(0,5))' This seems to work.

Now I need to figure out how to set some of them to 99 based on groupings I had set earlier. I.E. 'Array-->Set Value at int(random(2,5)) to 99, Set Value at int(random(5,8)) to 99, etc....' This also seems to work.

The hurdle has become, how do I now set an element within those same groupings to 5 without changing a value that was previously set to 99?

If this doesn't make any sense please, let me know and I'll try to clarify. Thank you for your time. :)

Admittedly, Im kind of an idiot when it comes to math and math concepts. Here is a graphic depicting what Im trying to do.

Last edited by gamecherry on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:29 pm

It might be worth asking what are you using the array for ? Ive ran into trouble when I was using the wrong thing for a specific instance.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:38 pm

Gearworkdragon wrote:It might be worth asking what are you using the array for ? Ive ran into trouble when I was using the wrong thing for a specific instance.

Thank you for your interest. :) I'm trying to populate a map with icons. The icon(s) are a single animation of 6 frames at 0 fps. I need the icons to be placed with a random frame 1-4. Within this map some of the icons need to be set at frame 5 (according to what group I assigned them to.) Some of them need to not exist, which is where the 99 value comes from (values of 99 are not instantiated onto the map.)

I want to set all X elements to a random number between 0 and 4. Then I want to set some elements to 99. Then I want to set some of them to 5 but not the ones I already to set 99.
I know, it's convoluted and obtuse.

I figured the best way to do this is to set up an array to hold the frame numbers for each icon so, I can save their location and frame number when exiting and entering the map.
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:58 am

Im an idiot I didnt read that clearly. yeah you gonna need one heck of a math wizard here cause what you want is basically some sort of algorithm. i dunno if they are still here lol
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 am

You could do this:
Code: Select all
global number index =0

+------------------------------+
| while                        | set index to int(random(5,8))
   +---------------------------+
   | array: value at index <99 | array: set at index to 5
   |                           | stop loop

Basically pick a random index until the value isn't 99 before setting the value.

You could probably do it all without an array though.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 am

R0J0hound wrote:You could do this:
Code: Select all
global number index =0

| while                        | set index to int(random(5,8))
   | array: value at index <99 | array: set at index to 5
   |                           | stop loop

Basically pick a random index until the value isn't 99 before setting the value.

Wow! Thank you so much R0J0hound. I incorporated that into my code and applied it to picking the 99s, the 5s, and some other things that I had yet to figure out when I posted and it works great. Those 2 lines of code relieved so much stress and Im grateful.
Thank you R0J0hound and everyone else for taking an interest in helping me. :)
B
S

Return to How do I....?