How do I auto-tile with tilemap?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:33 pm

It makes it much easier if you are tracking your tiles using an array.

Here is a nicer example of "Bitwise Numbers" to automatically tile what you draw for you.

HTML5 Demo

Just left click to place a tile. Ignore the tilemap it was something I had laying around from an old prototype just imagine the sea/blue is the grass and the sand is your dirt.

Here is more info on Bitwise Numbers definitely worth reading it's a great explanation of bitwise numbers.

bitwisetiling.capx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Minor wrote:It makes it much easier if you are tracking your tiles using an array.

Here is a nicer example of "Bitwise Numbers" to automatically tile what you draw for you.

HTML5 Demo

Just left click to place a tile. Ignore the tilemap it was something I had laying around from an old prototype just imagine the sea/blue is the grass and the sand is your dirt.

Here is more info on Bitwise Numbers definitely worth reading it's a great explanation of bitwise numbers.

bitwisetiling.capx

Ahh ok I see what you mean that's pretty clever to be honest. Ill have to try that out some time. thanks
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:23 pm

I carried on playing around after making the bitwise number example so I'll just post them here in case they are of use to anyone.

An expanded version of the first example. Use left click to place a tile, right click to remove, hold shift and left mouse button to drag an rectangular area to tile.

HTML5 Demo

bitwisetiling-expanded.capx

And a version that is probably closer to what @roracle originally wanted with dirt & grass tiles.

HTML5 Demo

bitwisetiling-expanded-dirt.capx

The improvement with this version is more tiles for the grass area and also stores the original grass tile when removing dirt.

Hope someone finds them useful :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm

If you should take a look at this, I ended up deleting all the work I did. The layout is different than what you're describing @Minor. I would like more information about storing information about tiles, though. If anyone wants to take a look and maybe implement something useful for me, go ahead. I have a tilemap for it and a sprite object in case I found a different way of doing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111 ... thing.capx
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?