How do I cast light on an object and not the backgroundt

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:21 am

Here is an example using an alpha mapped sprite to cast (?) a glint on a chosen coin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:01 am

Lordshiva1948 wrote:I do not know what you mean but, is it like this

Not quite... :)

To clarify, try turning the background to black, then, the light should ONLY shine on the circular object, and NOT the black background... That is the first problem that RamPackWobble solved. The second is the need to essentially programmatically generate the "light" layer in @Rampackwobble s example.. Right now he uses a big blank sprite with a circle 'cutout' with a destination in blend applied, I need to be able to drop in any particular object into that layer and achieve the same effect. If I try Spawning/creating a duplicate object of the one on display, say, a playing card to continue the poker theme, I'll see the light shine on the background too, not just the playing card. I thought if I applied a destination in blend to the entire later that would work, then I could drop any object in, however, I only want this effect to apply to a window within the current layout, not to the whole layout...

Appreciate your help though @Lordshiva1948
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 am

RamPackWobble wrote:Here is an example using an alpha mapped sprite to cast (?) a glint on a chosen coin

This is the gist of what I"m trying to achieve, yes, however, since the object can be dynamic, I need to use effects (like 'additive') on the object in question.. and can't use a static glint :(

-Remy
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 am

jay in you last msg did you any chance try to send CAPX? if yes where is it?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm

To be honest, Construct's blending modes are very counter-intuitive and unreliable. As I read this topic, I am trying to replicate the "source in" blend mode like in the official example and all I get is a black color on the transparent areas of the sprite that has the source-in mode and no blending at all with the sprite bellow.

A dedicated masking system per layer (like in After Effects) and blending modes that are standard in drawing-photo editing applications will be a great benefit. They will allow complex and dynamic effects like splatters, decals, fog and all sort off things.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?