how do i change which layout loads first..?

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:15 pm

seems like a simple problem, but i'm not finding any luck. i guess i could rearrange which event sheets are used by each layout... but that seems like an obtuse solution.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 pm

Layout 1 always loads first. If you want to change it, insert a layout at the start of the application, and have an event like "Start of layout - go to layout 3".
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:20 pm

[quote="Ashley":1l1r3nh0]Layout 1 always loads first. If you want to change it, insert a layout at the start of the application, and have an event like "Start of layout - go to layout 3".[/quote:1l1r3nh0]
i had tried that, but because the first layout happens to be my engine (and is adopted by other layouts), it ended up getting itself into a loop of changing layouts where the application wouldn't even pop up and i had to close it via task manager.

in a future version, could it be possible to specify which layout is called first (in project properties)?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:21 pm

The first layout isn't your engine if you add a new layout at the start!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:27 pm

[quote="Ashley":5v9e25l5]The first layout isn't your engine if you add a new layout at the start![/quote:5v9e25l5]
i guess i'm a bit confused as to what you mean by this...

if i drag a different layout above the engine layout in the project menu on the right... it doesn't change which layout loads first (this was the first thing i tried). i can't seem to change order in the event sheet editor -- just add/delete.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:32 pm

[quote="dfyb":9s5gt3uq]if i drag a different layout above the engine layout in the project menu on the right... it doesn't change which layout loads first (this was the first thing i tried).[/quote:9s5gt3uq]
It does, I just tried it - a horizontal line appears where the layout can be dropped. All you need is a blank layout as the first layout which jumps to the layout you want.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote="Ashley":3uitlpu9][quote="dfyb":3uitlpu9]if i drag a different layout above the engine layout in the project menu on the right... it doesn't change which layout loads first (this was the first thing i tried).[/quote:3uitlpu9]
It does, I just tried it - a horizontal line appears where the layout can be dropped. All you need is a blank layout as the first layout which jumps to the layout you want.[/quote:3uitlpu9]
yeah i tried it, too. i even started a new file to test it. in the project menu to the right, i can drag another layout above, sure -- i see that horizontal line and all... but it doesn't actually have an effect on which loads first when i test the application (no matter what, the original layout created with the .cap will load first).

edit: i seemed to get it working on a new file... still not working with original. i'll play around with it more.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Hmm, I just ran a little test on this and I found a weird bug.

Dragging the second layout up and putting it at the top seems to work fine. It will then load that layout first.

But dragging the top layout down below another layout won't affect the loading order. It only registers the change if you drag a lower layout into the top slot.

Edit: submitting to tracker
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:00 pm

i've been dragging up and i've found that my change doesn't stick. i can drag the second layout up to the top and it acts as intended -- it's listed first (though it still loads the engine layout when testing it). but if i save and restart construct, it's back to its original order. i've also tried adjusting the order of the event sheets, but they seem to have no effect. i'm on a vista machine right now -- i'll test at home later today to see if i get the same problem.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:05 pm

[quote="dfyb":3q1mtcl0]i've been dragging up and i've found that my change doesn't stick. i can drag the second layout up to the top and it acts as intended -- it's listed first (though it still loads the engine layout when testing it). but if i save and restart construct, it's back to its original order. i've also tried adjusting the order of the event sheets, but they seem to have no effect. i'm on a vista machine right now -- i'll test at home later today to see if i get the same problem.[/quote:3q1mtcl0]

Strange. If you do it with a new .cap does it do the same thing?

(Also, why does SourceForge keep logging me out? I check "remember me" every time I log in but it never does :x Argh! /rant)
B
S
G

Next

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic