How do I check if variable is equal to multiple numbers

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
The game will give you a dog that appeared and you must say if he appeared more, less or equal.
  • Let's say I want to create spawn a small bunny if the variable is equal to 4, 5, 6 and 7.

Instead of doing 4 different "If ___ variable is equal to _" events, is there a way to use just one event?

I'm aware I can use "If ___ variable is greater than _", but what if there's an event that spawns a slightly bigger bunny if it's equal to 8? Greater than would do everything above the number, including 8.

Hope I'm making sense. Essentially I need some sort of expression along the lines of between(3, 8) I'm not aware of any that exist.

• Look at the Systems events there is an event called 'Is between values'. That should be what you are looking for.

• It's for a global variable

• Isn't that what you want?

• Ah, right! Thank you, I didn't understand that's how it worked, and couldn't check because I was away from my PC at the time. I appreciate it.

• Sorry to bring this up again! Is there an expression that goes along the lines of "If *globalvariable* is equal to 1, 2, 3, 4 then..." ?

To further explain I want an expression that allows me to cram all the numbers I'm checking if equal to into one event, rather than doing 4 different events for each number on an Or block.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cram the numbers in an 1D array. (if they are not consecutive)

Use the condition > array > Contains value

If they are consecutive, Asmodean showed you a 1 liner.

• Asmodean showed me a way to check if a variable's number is in between two other values. I'm wondering if instead of:

System: if Variable = 1

System: if Variable = 2

System: if Variable = 3

System: if Variable = 4

there's some other way of cramming it into one event, for example:

System: if Variable = 1, 2, 3, and 4

Is there no expression for this? By expression I mean the stuff like ceil(1, 2, 3, 4)

• Compare two values var=1|var=2|var=3|var=4 is equal to 1

Why not set up 4 conditions and use an "or" event block? It is still one event.

• Also you can use compare two values 0<var&5>var is equal to 1, but again that's the same as the system is in between variables condition. Why don't the previous suggestions work for you?

• '|' = 'or'. So, if you want check if variable equals 1,5 or 8, just write

+ System -> if Variable1 = 1 | 5 | 8|...

• I understand that it's still one event if I use an 'Or' block, in fact I've already stated that. It all takes up so much space if I use an 'Or' block. Essentially what I want is something that doesn't take so much space. That's why I'm asking for an expression. Is there one or isn't there? That's my question.

Thank you, will try that now. I appreciate the help!

• I think what you're looking for is choose? Maybe..

It doesn't seem to understand what numbers I'm talking about.

System -> if Variable = '1 | 5 | 8' doesn't work

I've confirmed it's an issue with the code not understanding what numbers I'm talking about.

For example, if I set a bunch of bouncy balls to spawn if the variable doesn't equal '1 | 5 | 8', and then set the variable to either 1, 5 or 8, the balls still won't stop spawning. If that makes sense. Point is, it doesn't understand the number.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)