How do I choose one object only?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hello,

I made an event to open a command menu, to control the characters in my game. I made instance variable for each character that when this variable's value change to 1 the character does the command. The problem is that when the value change all the charcters do the command, i just want the one who i selected ( i press e beside a character to open the command menu, thats what i mean by the one who i selected, the who i used to open the menu). Help please.

Thanks

• So what is the exact event/conditions?

In what way do you want to reference the correct instance?

You press e beside a character..

I'm not exactly sure what this means, but how should the computer know beside which character you are, so how would it know which character you mean?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I want to make the correct instance do the command i asked.

I pinned an invisible object to the player that is bigger than the player, which acts like a radius. When the player press e and the character is overlapping with that radius, it opens the command menu.

• Sounds great..

If you could share your capx, it would be a lot easier..

Without seeing the actual events, advise will be pretty abstract..

You could for example set a variable to the uid of the character and reference that uid in the functions and/or events of the command menu..

• fathybasha

To prevent pointless posting and guesswork, it is preferable to either provide screenshots of your Events or a .capx.

• You are right, i will send screenshots tomorrow.

• gorilla is "the character", actionradius is the "radius",commandbg is the "command menu"

as you can see this is on e pressed event: http://postimg.org/image/5429xt4l9/

the buttons and the command menu is moved to the played HUD

second part: http://postimg.org/image/68wc36r25/

on clicked on one of the commands set all the instances of the gorilla (which acts like command) to 0 except the command you chose which is collectf (collect food)

third part: http://postimg.org/image/le3ubqjcz/

this is the collect food command itself, i don't think this photo matters but i putted it to make sure that you help me.

Please help me, of course there are some things you wont understand so please ask me and i will an answer you,

Thanks!

• postimg.org/image/5429xt4l9/

On this one I can see that pressing E brings out the menu, but is that all it does ? Is there anything inside this event that tells the overlapped gorilla that it is the "chosen one" ?

I see nothing in your code that sorts the controlled gorilla apart from the others.

• No nothing. Can you please tell me what should i do?

• What I'd suggest you:

• Create a global variable, a number, and name it "SelectedChara" or whatever you fancy.
    • In the event "On E pressed", add the action: "Set SelectedChara to Gorilla.UID"

UID is the Unique ID of the object. Here "SelectedChara" will remember which instance you intend to use.

• On every event where you tell the gorillas what to do, add the condition: "Pick gorilla with UID: SelectedChara"

thus only the gorilla withe previously selected UID will be affected by these actions.

Hope it helps.

• Thanks so much Estecka, i will try this as soon as i can!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)