How do I choose only one object when is overlapping ?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • I developed my own engine to handle the bounce of a ball on walls using vectors but I have a problem with the collision detection function of construct2 is overlapping.

When my ball touches two vectors at the same time (the corners of a rectangle of vectors for example) my engine receives two vectors and it sucks shit.

Is there a way to tell the is overlapping function to choose only one of the vectors?

Ty !

• Which one?

• In "Is overlapping" event add a sub-event - "For each vector" or any of the "System->Pick" events.

You can also check how many vectors are picked at any time using expression vector.pickedCount

• Thx for replies.

I would like to choose either one does not matter.

dop2000 i don't understand your sub-event . I specify my vectors are just sprites in the form of rectangular bars that I associate to make polygons

• I would just add a variable as a filter

on collision

->variable collisioncount<1, add 1 to collisioncount , do foo

... reset collisioncount next tick

• newt I believe if ball collides with two vectors at the same moment, both vector instances will be picked in one collision event.

worm1

Here are a few examples:

// If you need to process all vector instances which are currently in collision with the ball 
    Ball on Collision with Vector
        For each Vector  ......................

// If you need to process only one vector instance, no matter if the ball has hit 1 or 2 vectors
        System -> Pick 0-th instance of Vector  ......................

// If you need to know if more than 1 vector is in collision with the ball 
         System -> Compare two values -> Vector.pickedCount>1

// If you need to pick only one of two vectors using some condition 
         System -> Compare two values -> Vector.pickedCount>1
               System -> Pick Vector by evaluate <your condition here>[/code:3j641p9u]
  • I dunno, try and see I guess.

Events run pretty fast.

• Thx dop2000 for all these solutions, finally I will need to choose a vector in particular because the problem is not the overlap of two vectors but the fact that when the ball touches a side of the vector the collision angle is totally false. I do not know how I'm going to manage this ...

• worm1

Is this what's happening?

You can check if Vector.pickedCount=2 and simply reverse the angle of movement (add 180 degrees).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Not exactly dop2000

It' s when the ball touches the side of the vector as in the example that the angle should be 135 and not 35. I think it may be necessary to do another collision management to use the vectors as they are...

• Hi ,

Finally I was able to solve the problem using your method dop2000 thank you

I detect the number of vectors during the overlapping of the ball and if the number of vectors is> 1 then I add just 180 degrees to the angle of the ball

Ty again for help!

• Glad it helped!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)