How do I determine where the screen starts in the layout?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:48 am

I am missing a simple value somewhere, I am sure. :oops:

I am making a sidescrolling platformer to familiarise myself using the awesome tutorials here, but I have a layout that is 2x the height of the screen (and ~5 times as long) and the dotted line to indicate the screen in in the top left corner of the layout. I need to start in the bottom left. When I run the layout to test - the screen seems to sit in the vertical middle of the layout and not scroll up or down.....

I would really like to be able to scroll vertically as well as horizontally in my layouts. But I am unsure how to achieve this. :shock:

Thanks in advance...

cyril_test_01.capx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:55 am

Maybe 'System:Scroll to object Player' or similar.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks fort the reply codah.

I've tried all the 'System:Scroll to' actions and none of them make any difference.

Any other ideas?
B

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Maybe try 'unbounded scrolling'.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 pm

I tried a few things with the capx including unbounded scrolling but it didn't seem to work. But I didn't spend that long on it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 am

I don't know what you want but, your player was not jumping or doing anything. I have seen CAPX and done little modification now try it player jumps and collects item as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 am

Wow. Turns out it was my sloppy work all along. Big suprise, huh :oops:

2 things I had wrong:

1- the BG layer was set to 50, 50 for parallax which was making it look like the screen was in the wrong spot vertically. I changed it to 50, 100 and then it looked right.
2- I had the ground on the FG layer instead of the action layer. The player sprite looked like it was falling indefinitely because technically it was. I didn't realise that the original layer is set to 'Transparent: no' and so the ground was not showing up when I ran the layout, even though I could see it in the editor...

So thanks for the help everyone - the error was occurring between the chair and the keyboard :P
B

Return to Beginner's Questions