How do I do a basic fighting with special moves game?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello, I am working on a fighting game, but need a little push, I have the character selection set up, but not the event sheet, but I first want to try to see if fighting will even work in Construct 2. I am thinking variables for fighting animations, so if you press 1 1 1 1 within one second, it will preform something like you would see in the dbz budokai series. And locking on to opponents and 3 on 3 battles, and AI, I'm kinda lost. Can Construct 2 do all these things or do I need to move to clickteam or something? Maybe someone would make a tutorial, I would buy it. Thanks

:)
B

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Construct2 can easily do it but you will need to get organized.

I would look into a sprite animator like Spriter for your characters. This would allow you to make all kinds of attack/block etc animations once you built the basic sprite parts for each character. Spriter also works with COnstruct2 and has its own event handlers... and you can usually find a bundle deal in Construct2 store for it.

The attack triggers like you mentioned are really easy.. simply make variables for each such as "SuperSmackDownPunch=0" and increment with each defined keypress (ie. SSDP triggers with keypress 1) so when user presses 1 it adds 1 to SSDP variable and sets a timer to set SSDP back to 0 after 1 second... and another event that listens for SSDP (or any other) to reach 4+ then fires off the attack if true...

AI is very doable as well with lots of tutorials on it.. So all in all.. I would say draw up an outline of what you need to accomplish and attack it part by part.
Check out my completed games on the Arcade! Capt. Doe Save the Universe! & Clicker Wizard!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:48 pm

chrisinfinger wrote:Construct2 can easily do it but you will need to get organized.

I would look into a sprite animator like Spriter for your characters. This would allow you to make all kinds of attack/block etc animations once you built the basic sprite parts for each character. Spriter also works with COnstruct2 and has its own event handlers... and you can usually find a bundle deal in Construct2 store for it.

The attack triggers like you mentioned are really easy.. simply make variables for each such as "SuperSmackDownPunch=0" and increment with each defined keypress (ie. SSDP triggers with keypress 1) so when user presses 1 it adds 1 to SSDP variable and sets a timer to set SSDP back to 0 after 1 second... and another event that listens for SSDP (or any other) to reach 4+ then fires off the attack if true...

AI is very doable as well with lots of tutorials on it.. So all in all.. I would say draw up an outline of what you need to accomplish and attack it part by part.

Thank you for your response! I thought I needed variables, I will try them out, I've got sprites so I don't need to worry about that, I just need to work on basic attacks, super attacks, ultimates, charging up, and all that other stuff, thanks!
B

Post » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:29 pm

B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Message: Join can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
ErekT wrote:Maybe this could help?

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... former-687

Thanks, I will buy it when I really need help, I know what to do in my head, but I need someone to show me, if that makes sence, I'm kind of stuck right now.
B

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:58 pm

chrisinfinger wrote:Construct2 can easily do it but you will need to get organized.

Hey, when you said variable do you mean instance, because I have it that when 1 is pressed, add 1 to Punchone. I tried a few things like set animation to punch1 and stuff, I'm kind of stuck, I know I'm doing something wrong, just can't figure out, how do you make it if 1 is added set the animation for a second or something, sorry, I haven't worked with variables in construct 2 a lot.
B

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:56 pm

I threw together a quick capx of what I was talking about, maybe it will help you get started.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a goggle drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx-ufu2WID53dGp2N3I2VnVXU28 (click the download arrow in the upper right corner of screen)
Last edited by chrisinfinger on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my completed games on the Arcade! Capt. Doe Save the Universe! & Clicker Wizard!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

Message: Join can only post plain text URLS until they have 500 rep. 1 URLS modified. Why?
chrisinfinger wrote:I threw together a quick capx of what I was talking about, maybe it will help you get started.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2346355/SuperPowerKeyupExample.capx

Thanks, will try out.
B

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:53 am

chrisinfinger wrote:I threw together a quick capx of what I was talking about, maybe it will help you get started.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2346355/SuperPowerKeyupExample.capx

I tried it out for myself, and it doesn't seem to be working right, the first problem is on start of loadout, the sprite does all the moves at once, then I try swapping sprites in your capsx, but the punch animation is too long, I tried making it shorter.
But what I mean is, how do you make it so like you press 1 and it punches, but say if you press 1 again inbetween a second it does a kick, then the third time it does a super attack, err this stuff is confusing :P.
B

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:44 am

Hmm I just checked it and my capx does all it says it does.. correctly.
It allows the player sprite to move back, forth and jump via arrow keys. If you press 1 it triggers a punch, if you press 2 it triggers a kick, if you press 3 four times within one second it triggers a super punch and, if you press 4 four times within one second it triggers a super kick.

The on start of layout event simply sets the sprites frames to 0. I did not put animations in the example, I simply had it change frame to the sprite to represent the triggered change where you would add in an animations trigger..

I followed your initial request of
so if you press 1 1 1 1 within one second

If the user only presses 1 for all moves... Its basically the same principle you just have to create an event that decides when to fire off the correct attack.. just much more complex.
B
S
G

Next

Return to How do I....?