How do I do a basic fighting with special moves game?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
A collection of various soldier character sprites for creating a 2D platformer or sidescroller game
  • Hello, I am working on a fighting game, but need a little push, I have the character selection set up, but not the event sheet, but I first want to try to see if fighting will even work in Construct 2. I am thinking variables for fighting animations, so if you press 1 1 1 1 within one second, it will preform something like you would see in the dbz budokai series. And locking on to opponents and 3 on 3 battles, and AI, I'm kinda lost. Can Construct 2 do all these things or do I need to move to clickteam or something? Maybe someone would make a tutorial, I would buy it. Thanks

• Construct2 can easily do it but you will need to get organized.

I would look into a sprite animator like Spriter for your characters. This would allow you to make all kinds of attack/block etc animations once you built the basic sprite parts for each character. Spriter also works with COnstruct2 and has its own event handlers... and you can usually find a bundle deal in Construct2 store for it.

The attack triggers like you mentioned are really easy.. simply make variables for each such as "SuperSmackDownPunch=0" and increment with each defined keypress (ie. SSDP triggers with keypress 1) so when user presses 1 it adds 1 to SSDP variable and sets a timer to set SSDP back to 0 after 1 second... and another event that listens for SSDP (or any other) to reach 4+ then fires off the attack if true...

AI is very doable as well with lots of tutorials on it.. So all in all.. I would say draw up an outline of what you need to accomplish and attack it part by part.

I would look into a sprite animator like Spriter for your characters. This would allow you to make all kinds of attack/block etc animations once you built the basic sprite parts for each character. Spriter also works with COnstruct2 and has its own event handlers... and you can usually find a bundle deal in Construct2 store for it.

The attack triggers like you mentioned are really easy.. simply make variables for each such as "SuperSmackDownPunch=0" and increment with each defined keypress (ie. SSDP triggers with keypress 1) so when user presses 1 it adds 1 to SSDP variable and sets a timer to set SSDP back to 0 after 1 second... and another event that listens for SSDP (or any other) to reach 4+ then fires off the attack if true...

AI is very doable as well with lots of tutorials on it.. So all in all.. I would say draw up an outline of what you need to accomplish and attack it part by part.

Thank you for your response! I thought I needed variables, I will try them out, I've got sprites so I don't need to worry about that, I just need to work on basic attacks, super attacks, ultimates, charging up, and all that other stuff, thanks!

• Maybe this could help?

https://www.scirra.com/store/royalty-fr ... former-687

Thanks, I will buy it when I really need help, I know what to do in my head, but I need someone to show me, if that makes sence, I'm kind of stuck right now.

Hey, when you said variable do you mean instance, because I have it that when 1 is pressed, add 1 to Punchone. I tried a few things like set animation to punch1 and stuff, I'm kind of stuck, I know I'm doing something wrong, just can't figure out, how do you make it if 1 is added set the animation for a second or something, sorry, I haven't worked with variables in construct 2 a lot.

• I threw together a quick capx of what I was talking about, maybe it will help you get started.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a goggle drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx-ufu2WID53dGp2N3I2VnVXU28 (click the download arrow in the upper right corner of screen)

• I threw together a quick capx of what I was talking about, maybe it will help you get started.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a dropbox link: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2346355/SuperPowerKeyupExample.capx

Thanks, will try out.

Since capx uploading is still bonkers.. here is a dropbox link: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2346355/SuperPowerKeyupExample.capx

I tried it out for myself, and it doesn't seem to be working right, the first problem is on start of loadout, the sprite does all the moves at once, then I try swapping sprites in your capsx, but the punch animation is too long, I tried making it shorter.

But what I mean is, how do you make it so like you press 1 and it punches, but say if you press 1 again inbetween a second it does a kick, then the third time it does a super attack, err this stuff is confusing .

• Hmm I just checked it and my capx does all it says it does.. correctly.

It allows the player sprite to move back, forth and jump via arrow keys. If you press 1 it triggers a punch, if you press 2 it triggers a kick, if you press 3 four times within one second it triggers a super punch and, if you press 4 four times within one second it triggers a super kick.

The on start of layout event simply sets the sprites frames to 0. I did not put animations in the example, I simply had it change frame to the sprite to represent the triggered change where you would add in an animations trigger..

I followed your initial request of [quote:i9wjb5zo]so if you press 1 1 1 1 within one second

If the user only presses 1 for all moves... Its basically the same principle you just have to create an event that decides when to fire off the correct attack.. just much more complex.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I followed your initial request of [quote:3d00n4i6]so if you press 1 1 1 1 within one second

If the user only presses 1 for all moves... Its basically the same principle you just have to create an event that decides when to fire off the correct attack.. just much more complex.

I think you misunderstood what I said, up until now, like with the more complex part, I'll try do this on my own for now, but if I still have trouble I'll come back, thanks for the help.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)