How do I even make proper Animations?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Adobe Flash, Adobe Photoshop, 3ds Max can export individual frames and/or complete animations
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

In answer to your initial post:

"How do people know how to model the legs and arms?"

They know because they have either a natural talent for it,or more likely,they have practiced and learned their animation skills.

As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah, it's quite difficult to make something like this look good - it's also really out of the scope of Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Ok and I know I'm being a bit lazy here (not really because I've spent hours trying to animate my stick man and it looks like crap), but can someone please animate the sprite? I have all the body parts separated into a folder, and I converted them all into PNGs if that makes it better.

Here is the .zip file containing the body parts if anyone's interested: (I can't post links on text.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?bg3yhh3vj81tv12

Also, Spriter for me is really frustrating. When I export something into a PNG, it's all normal, but when I put it on Construct 2 it's just invisible, even though I set it to visible. And when you adjust the size of a body part on Spriter, the resolution of it turns unbelievably low.Murad962013-02-23 16:24:22
B

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I have used Synfig studio before. It is rather fiddly to use but you can animate in vectors and attach pngs to the animation. Since the actual animation is separate from the graphics you can swap the pngs at will for different characters. I use it because I can make animations using raster graphics but have super smooth fps as well.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Is it good for beginners/kids? Because I'm a kid for Christ's sake.

Just tried it. Nope.

This is a program aimed at beginners. Why have they not mentioned anywhere an easy way to make animations? Spriter doesn't work because the image ends up being invisible and why isn't there a button to centre the image into the middle?Murad962013-02-23 18:25:51
B

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:05 pm

There is no animation package made just for beginners.

Grab a copy of Blender and start following the video tutorials. You will be animating in less than 3 hours.

To get a good walk cycle is like anything. it takes a little practice.
You will never get good at anything if you do not at least try. At first no matter what way to learn is going to be slightly difficult.

The most difficult way to animate possible is to sit there and try drawing things out frame by frame. For a walk cycle you are only really making 3 key poses, and the IK does the rest for you. You only need to go into the between frames and clean things up.

I have done professional work for both games and television. If you need any advice feel free to PM me.

What ever you do, do not try doing anything Frame by frame. If you insist on sticking with a 2D application, then get an animation package like Ktoon that supports Key-frame animation and spline deformations.

No one does it frame by frame anymore. Professionals have gotten away from that since the late 1960's.
People who do Roto-scoping even will use an IK rig to help speed things up.

I Highly stress that you pre-render your animations. Packages like Spriter, and trying to animate in real time is just really silly. You really should save all the CPU power for the game play and physics. Not to mention that it looks horrible. You will never get a natural look, it will look like a bunch of photos rotating around each other.

I can think of some great uses for Spriter. Making natural walk cycles are not amongst them.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the great reply. I'll look at some other programs and turorials, but what exactly mean by not doing it frame by frame? Do you mean that I shouldn't be just rotating a leg or hand to animate it?

Also what do you mean by pre-rendering the animations? How can I pre-render a stick man?

Meanwhile I'll download Blender and watch some tutorials.
B

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Pre rendering means that you render out your animations before the game runs. Real time animations happen in-game, which takes up precious CPU resources. If you are planning to make a mobile application then Real time rendering is pretty muchg out of the question..

Frame by frame means that you are sitting there with Inkscape, Gimp or any other non-animation package and trying to manually draw each frame, pixel by pixel.

I have noticed a lot of really bad animation advice on these forums, and game making forums in general.

People are saying the proper way to make a torch is to make an emitter (not a c2 particle) and have it spraying hundreds of alpha mashed flames on the screen, rotating and scaling them, and changing the opacity and blend modes. Mixing it with a Particle to add to the effect.

Looks great, and it is fun to program, but it will totally suck the life out of your CPU. This is how a PROGRAMMER who does not know anything about art, or the actual game making process does things.

You should try to "fake" as much stuff as possible. Little animations like torch flames should be made before the game is ever run, with as few frames as possible.

Rotating and scaling things in real time, is the biggest mistake I have seen on these forums. Not from newbies either. I am seeing some really high level users wasting CPU power left and right.

You should only do things in real time, when there is absolutely no other way to fake it.jojoe2013-02-23 18:44:28
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:44 pm

It's not easy. To do it well, you need some level of artistic talent.

I paint the key frames of my animations, then use a program called Anime Studio Pro to blend them together. So for this wolf animation I created 8 hand-painted frames (after studying closely how a wolf moves), and then using Anime Studio Pro's bone mechanics blended them into a 22 frame animation to make it smoother:

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?