How do I fix layout bugging out and vertical controller?

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Small pixel icons for the 3 most popular controller types.
  • I have a three-layout manual which is navigated by touch or mouse (it supports both touch and mouse). When I click on the manual link in the main menu to go to the first layout of the manual, the first layout will appear for a split second, then show the second layout. When I click on the second layout, the game skips the third layout to take me back to the main menu. You have to click on the first layout to go to the second, the second to the third, and the third to return to the main menu. But I don't click on the third layout, and I don't know why the first layout only appears for a second. I don't even have time to click on the first layout before it goes to the second layout.

Another brief glitch (which seems to be fixed) is that pictures in the manual would compress horizontally and expand vertically at random today. I changed the pictures' sizes, and the glitch seems to be fixed. But I just wanted to let Scirra know.

Lastly, having trouble with my touch-stick controller. The game is a vertical platformer. Everything is at the bottom of the layout, and everything except the controller - which is in a HUD layer with 0,0 paralax - appears on screen despite not being in the project window (the dotted rectangular). Can I expand the project window so it includes the whole layout? What can I do?

I'm using r178 (64-bit), Firefox 31.0 and Windows Vista. Graphics card is up-to-date.

• Regarding the changing layout problem: it's difficult to guess what might cause this, but here I am having a go anyway so I hope I don't waste your time.... It seems possible that the click/touch event is either firing twice or registering on a subsequent layout, causing this mayhem. Add a time check variable to your events so that you delay checking for a second click until, say, 0.25 sec has elapsed from the previous.

I cannot help with the other problems - sorry!!

• Regarding the changing layout problem: it's difficult to guess what might cause this, but here I am having a go anyway so I hope I don't waste your time.... It seems possible that the click/touch event is either firing twice or registering on a subsequent layout, causing this mayhem. Add a time check variable to your events so that you delay checking for a second click until, say, 0.25 sec has elapsed from the previous.

I cannot help with the other problems - sorry!!

No time wasted.

By time check variable, do you mean something like:

number variable

if click, add to variable 1

if variable = 1, go to layout?

• I just turned off mouse input for the touch object and the layout problem is fixed now.

I'm still having a problem with the touchstick controller.

• It sounds like a double-trigger problem - although they shouldn't happen for such inputs like mouse/touch events they clearly can and do on some platforms / browsers. The way I've settled into getting around this is to have a variable like "Time_Next_Input". At a trigger-input event I set it to add 0.25 sec to Time_Next_Input. The trigger events have a condition to check that time<Time_Next_Input for any subsequent events to take place. That usually does the trick - I hope that this makes sense?

The touchstick problem sounds like it might be a driver compatibility issue. If you use the Windows own driver then try installing the manufacturer's own software and driver; conversely, if you already have the manufacturer's software installed, try uninstalling it and then letting Windows find its own driver (if it can) when you plug the device in. A different but still compatible driver might fix the problem. A free program Revo Uninstaller can save hours of headache if you need to uninstall bespoke manufacturer programs. Hope this helps!!

• It sounds like a double-trigger problem - although they shouldn't happen for such inputs like mouse/touch events they clearly can and do on some platforms / browsers. The way I've settled into getting around this is to have a variable like "Time_Next_Input". At a trigger-input event I set it to add 0.25 sec to Time_Next_Input. The trigger events have a condition to check that time<Time_Next_Input for any subsequent events to take place. That usually does the trick - I hope that this makes sense?

The touchstick problem sounds like it might be a driver compatibility issue. If you use the Windows own driver then try installing the manufacturer's own software and driver; conversely, if you already have the manufacturer's software installed, try uninstalling it and then letting Windows find its own driver (if it can) when you plug the device in. A different but still compatible driver might fix the problem. A free program Revo Uninstaller can save hours of headache if you need to uninstall bespoke manufacturer programs. Hope this helps!!

So I make the variable time_next_input, add it as an action to an event as >add 0.25 sec to the variable, then add the condition that 0.25 sec has passed?

Also, if touch uses mouse input, could I use touch in place of the mouse? Or would I not be able to use mouse with just the touch object?

I don't know a thing about drivers, sorry.

• If touch uses mouse input "on touch" is the same as "on mouse left click" and "is touching" is the same as "mouse left button is down",

there is no need to make seperate events or conditions for the mouse..

For us to help with your other issues will be pretty hard without seeing the actual capx..

I know a lot about touch-stick controllers, I actually created a working example for all behaviours, but it isn't really clear to me what your issue is..

• If touch uses mouse input "on touch" is the same as "on mouse left click" and "is touching" is the same as "mouse left button is down",

there is no need to make seperate events or conditions for the mouse..

For us to help with your other issues will be pretty hard without seeing the actual capx..

I know a lot about touch-stick controllers, I actually created a working example for all behaviours, but it isn't really clear to me what your issue is..

Thanks!

• You should place your touchstick within the dotted line, for that is the original project view,

because the hud layer has 0,0 paralax all hud objects should be within that area..

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You should place your touchstick within the dotted line, for that is the original project view,

because the hud layer has 0,0 paralax all hud objects should be within that area..

Can I expand the project window so it includes the whole layout? What can I do?

• No you can't and there is no reason to do so..

just place the stuff that is on the layer without paralax within the dotted line..

for C2 x=0 and y=0 is on the top left, so the dotted line shows the project size when there is no camera movement and a layer without paralax has no camera movement..

• No you can't and there is no reason to do so..

just place the stuff that is on the layer without paralax within the dotted line..

for C2 x=0 and y=0 is on the top left, so the dotted line shows the project size when there is no camera movement and a layer without paralax has no camera movement..

But now I don't have room for the vertical platforming.

• Why wouldn't you have room?

You only have to place your hud within the dotted line, not everything?

• Why wouldn't you have room?

You only have to place your hud within the dotted line, not everything?

I thought you said everything? I must've misread.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)