How do I fix this (Solved)

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:08 pm

Cant promiss all, but can try eh
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:16 pm

Yes. Thank you very much for trying to help. I will upload it now and give you the link soon.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzcqbsveiy3fg ... .capx?dl=0

I named the layout where the error comes to ERROR HERE

These errors started to happen after that rotating beam and those chicken sprites but there certainly were many sprites having collisions points in a wrong way. I wonder if there is a problem if sprites are overlapping in the same layer (when putting them there. That´s why I moved those ground images (background images) separately (which now looks bad of course). There still was an error.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:54 pm

I think the first thing you should do is update your version of Construct 2 from r204.2 which is well over a year old now. There should be absolutely no reason for anyone to be using such an old version.

Supporting such an old version that may have had the bugs subsequently fixed is a waste of everyone's time.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:51 pm

Updating now. Testing soon.

edit. updated. So far no error. I am glad I bought it. :)

edit2. Error. Update didn´t fix it. I think it ran more smoothly though.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:17 pm

I think that the error could be easily found since there is a strict error mentioned if one could only understand those javascript lines. It seems to be doing something with physics and something with a problem when creating sprite. Is it possible that there are too many ticks going on and the machine or software just can´t handle it?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:49 pm

tomi71 wrote: That´s why I moved those ground images (background images) separately (which now looks bad of course). There still was an error.

No, no. Objects can overlap.
The collision polygones insides objects with a physics behavior can not overlap. Worser. Often Construct cant auto find colission polygones when you import a frame. In that case there wil not be 1 collision polygone set. And that gives countless errors if you give such an object a physics behavior.

Lesson 1: When you import an animationframe, check the collision polygones. Be in control.

Ok, here is the capx i looked into.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkpi3u9y14di1 ... .capx?dl=0

I have totaly no errors anymore. But then again, i am to stupid to play the whole level. (althaught you can just fall on the lunchbox in the space between the walls on the left, completing the level in seconds)

Best try yourself. I hope you dont have errors too this time.

I did two things. I kinda fixed the animation of your main character. Now it has a stable origin. And stable colission polygones. And it rolls so much nicer.

I lifted the chain creation out of the 'on start of layout', and made it only happen in the levels where they are actualy present.

I am a bit suprised that it all runs at a acceptable pace. Yet. That event sheet is full of unneeded events for a certain level. You have one sheet for all levels. As a result, lots of events check for objects that are not in the layout. I dont understand how you understand all this. Hat off.

The events about the Boss, for example, run in every level.

Would it not be a lot easyer if you used groups ?
https://www.scirra.com/manual/80/groups

You can set groups active & inactive. That way you can still have 1 eventsheet.

Have a group for events that are needed in every Level. Like the events that move the player. This is always active.
Have groups for things that only happen in a certain level, and set this group active based on the level name.

Now, the chain creation, for example, gave objects that are not in the layout and not global, a physics behaviour. The chains are not in every level.

WIth not in the level i mean: they have no grafic representation. They have no 'sprite' and therefor no collission polygones. Because they are not global. Yet they get the physics behavior set. But physics cant find polygones. And then you get that error.

Well thats my 'unconfirmd' analysis of what is happening. Ofcours, i can be wrong (again).

@zenox98
You can not account for everything a users does, or tries to do. I agree that this is impossible.
Yet, is it a good practice to allow the physics behavior on objects that are set as not global? Physics is global though ? Else setting gravity in one object would not set gravity for all.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks. Those are certainly the steps to the right direction. I had thought it also that should I make more event sheets for the reason you said (e.g Boss is not in every level etc.)

Tried it now with beta r229 (latest beta). It ran couple of times (timer to zero and restart layout/level) but ended in error. I try next to remove the chain fully.

edit: disabled the chain. Still error. Next: I try to remove the birds and see what happens. Yep. Error. Now adding birds back and removing the rotating beam... sigh... ("error") and now removing birds AND rotating beam. I remember at one time when I tested, I put many rotating beams and the error became sooner. I wonder if this has something to do with "resources" (too many things going on etc)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:08 am

Those events that were only used in certain layouts had been removed in the "stripped down" version of the game in page 1. Yet there still was that same error. The error doesn´t come right away. It took 18 minutes in one case. Sometimes it can come right after "restart level" when timer goes 0 and game restarts the level (layout).

I am now removing the emboss effect for those edge beams (that makes them look metallic) and all the bolts that are rotating constantly are not any more. I am testing the "efficiency" or how do you say it :)

edit: Also removed all the leftover sprites (when I have tested things etc.). Running now. Waiting for an error..
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:22 am

Error. Horror. Soon out of options. Trying....
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?