How do I make a cutscene?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Well, I am currently working on a project and my only problem ATM is making cutscenes.

I was thinking of making them in a layout in construct, and forcing the "character" to move to a position, then it will say something and fade into another layout which is the actual game.

How would you do this?

• You can use a timeline plugin, but I just have a cutscene variable. Cutscenes are a little complex to make, but not terrible if you break it down.

At the start if when the cutscene should begin, I set cutscene = 1. I then use that variable to measure the progress.

If cutscene = 1

---->Trigger once, do stuff, wait 3.5 seconds, set cutscene = 2

---->Every tick, do whatever.

Then repeat for each "phase" of your cutscene. I have the main event and then two subevents (the second is unnecessary, but god for organization) to accommodate the things that wil happen continuously (camera movement, character movement, fades, etc.) and things that happen once (triggers, spawning/creating objects, destroying, setting variables, playing sounds) with a wait to let the game know how long that segment should last. I then repeat the process for each segment of the cutscene. At the start of the cutscene, be sure to disable character controls and/or start ignoring input.

You can get as complex as you'd like, as you can imagine, but that's th gist of how I do all of my cutscenes.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can use a timeline plugin, but I just have a cutscene variable. Cutscenes are a little complex to make, but not terrible if you break it down.

At the start if when the cutscene should begin, I set cutscene = 1. I then use that variable to measure the progress.

If cutscene = 1

---->Trigger once, do stuff, wait 3.5 seconds, set cutscene = 2

---->Every tick, do whatever.

Then repeat for each "phase" of your cutscene. I have the main event and then two subevents (the second is unnecessary, but god for organization) to accommodate the things that wil happen continuously (camera movement, character movement, fades, etc.) and things that happen once (triggers, spawning/creating objects, destroying, setting variables, playing sounds) with a wait to let the game know how long that segment should last. I then repeat the process for each segment of the cutscene. At the start of the cutscene, be sure to disable character controls and/or start ignoring input.

You can get as complex as you'd like, as you can imagine, but that's th gist of how I do all of my cutscenes.

Okay, im pretty new to this tho, how do you do all that?

Could you send me a file with a cutscene in it so i can learn from it?

thanks

• Some games do it comic book style, put up slide show images with click or touch to continue..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)