How do I make a moddable game?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • It's only a question, but can I make a game in construct and later create a mod for the game that anybody could install it?

• There are a few ways to go about this, depending on the scope of whatever you are trying to achieve.

A straightforward way would be to build your game engine around external files or project files loaded by AJAX. They would contain the values for moddable variables in your game. If you change the project file, then different values would get loaded.

From there, a more advanced option would be to load sprite assets from URL, again either from project files or external files. You can have an xml document to provide a list of links to all assets that need to be loaded, and change that file if you want different assets.

• There are a few ways to go about this, depending on the scope of whatever you are trying to achieve.

A straightforward way would be to build your game engine around external files or project files loaded by AJAX. They would contain the values for moddable variables in your game. If you change the project file, then different values would get loaded.

From there, a more advanced option would be to load sprite assets from URL, again either from project files or external files. You can have an xml document to provide a list of links to all assets that need to be loaded, and change that file if you want different assets.

Ok looks good I will experiment with external files some days. Thank you!

• One way to go about this that has worked for me in the past is to start by building a tool with which to mod your game - and work from there outwards. You can continue to grow the tool as the game develops, and have it output files which can be read at a later date. Good luck! Making tools is fun.

• One way to go about this that has worked for me in the past is to start by building a tool with which to mod your game - and work from there outwards. You can continue to grow the tool as the game develops, and have it output files which can be read at a later date. Good luck! Making tools is fun.

This seems to be more easy for everybody to make a mod but I don't know how to make programs that interact with other ones, I really don't know anything about AJAX, etc... I hope someday I learn!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • AJAX is simply a method to get data from an outside source, like a text file.

The tool mrtumbles is referring to would be something that generates or edits that text file. You can make it yourself, or it could be done with something existing like notepad or excel. The format is up to you.

(Modding Tool) creates (Data/Configuration File) loaded into (Game)

By changing your file, you change your game.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)