How do I make a neon glowing effect?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:59 am

Im making a space shooter and i want to create a glowing effect in the outline of the main objects (enemy ships, bullets, some particles) something like neon lights, how can i do that?

Thanks for the help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:42 am

You could use the outline webGL effect. You'll have to get it from this topic https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75574&start=0 and put it in your installation folder.

See attached capx for an example...
Outline.capx

Now, if the effect you after is a blurred additive glow, you'll have to use a different sprite on top of the spaceships and set its blend mode to additive.

See the following capx...

OutlineGlow.capx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eli0s on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:59 am

You can use glow mask on photoshop.
2 mask's on in 100 opacity and the other 80 opacity.
Like this:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Message: SuperJohnn is not yet permitted to post plain text URLS (300 rep required). 1 URLS removed. Why?
eli0s wrote:You could use the outline webGL effect. You'll have to get it from this topic and put it in your installation folder.

See attached capx for an example...

Outline.capx

Now, if the effect you after is a blurred additive glow, you'll have to use a different sprite on top of the spaceships and set its blend mode to additive.

See the following capx...

OutlineGlow.capx
A0Nasser wrote:You can use glow mask on photoshop.
2 mask's on in 100 opacity and the other 80 opacity.
Like this:

I think i got it guys, you gave me an idea, since i can´t use photoshop i decided to use Gimp (which is similar) and i found a neon effect so i made a neon version of the sprite (the outline) and placed the normal sprite on top of it. Now i just need to adjust some values.

Thanks a lot for the help! ;)
B

Post » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:10 pm

To be honest I didn't understand that you wanted to make a glow in an external sofware. I thought that you wanted to make it dynamically within Construct. So, yes, any photo-paint software that respects it self should suffice for the effect you are after!
composer - multimedia artist
www.eli0s.com/en/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:11 am

eli0s wrote:To be honest I didn't understand that you wanted to make a glow in an external sofware. I thought that you wanted to make it dynamically within Construct. So, yes, any photo-paint software that respects it self should suffice for the effect you are after!

I wasn´t really sure about what method would be better, but those examples gave me the idea of what should i do.
B

Return to How do I....?