How do I make a proper action platformer?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Hear ye hear ye,

Many moons ago I liked Strike Force Heroes so greatly that I made quite a few
sprites and animations for what I was hoping to release as a new game. I wanted
to make a game like it and use the sprites but i've got too far ahead of myself and
now many sprites exist but the method to make the game does not.

Looking at the Construct 2 poster image donning the front page, I assumed it
perfect for my cause. Several hours later of cued googling, watching tutorials and
whatnot, I learned not to assume.

Basically, how do I make a fleshed out action platformer like SFH with an A.I, an
external cash and inventory system, a level select, cutscenes, dialouge, the works.
I'm willing to learn whatever the heck it takes.
B

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:06 pm

It's all possible, but learning to create it will take time, patience, a lot of trial and error and more patience and especially time..
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 pm

It's entirely possible, but as Little Stain says, it'll take time.

The game you've described may seem simple, but it's actually very complicated, and a single feature alone would take days of planning for a new comer to have even a rough idea.

The question is also very broad, it's akin to asking "How do I make a proper car?" - we all know about cars, but to actually make one you need a combustion engine, axles, suspension, gearing etc.

It would be more practical to break down your game and solve one problem at a time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Mr E Bear wrote:It's entirely possible, but as Little Stain says, it'll take time.

The game you've described may seem simple, but it's actually very complicated, and a single feature alone would take days of planning for a new comer to have even a rough idea.

The question is also very broad, it's akin to asking "How do I make a proper car?" - we all know about cars, but to actually make one you need a combustion engine, axles, suspension, gearing etc.

It would be more practical to break down your game and solve one problem at a time.

Right then, if possible please direct me to any of the following:

-A.I Tutorial for the type of game i'm making.
-Upgrade/purchase/currency/exp system.
-Weapon equips coding related to above.
-How to make characters that have heads and hands moving like in raze.

For the rest i've seen most of the tutorials and I feel I would be able to figure out.
B

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Here is a link to a few gun sprites I just made: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jobfl ... onGame.rar
(Not even close to the number of others i've made, this is a testing set.)
B

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 pm

About the AI:
What should your enemy do and not do and when and when not?

About update purchase etcetera:
Do you want a menu in which this is done or does the player upgrade his gun when walking over, should the player be able to switch guns at all times or just at certain places/times in the game?
How and when does the player gain experience and how do you want this displayed, what does experience mean for the gameplay and how do you want this implemented?

About Weapons equip coding:
Instance variable weapon
if player chooses handgun
set variable weapon to handgun
- if player variable is handgun
trigger once
set group handgun to active
in the group handgun have all the events that are diiferent from when the player has another weapon.

About character:

Either create animations for all you want or have the hands head pinned to the player sprite..
Another option would be to use an external program like Brashmonkey's Spriter to animate the player from loose parts and insert the whole in Construct2
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:28 pm

LittleStain wrote:About the AI:
What should your enemy do and not do and when and when not?

They should fire when player is in sight, move towards player when not, have minor stupidity (Inaccuracy etc).
Very basic A.I to tide over till an update/sequel.

About update purchase etcetera:
Do you want a menu in which this is done or does the player upgrade his gun when walking over, should the player be able to switch guns at all times or just at certain places/times in the game?
How and when does the player gain experience and how do you want this displayed, what does experience mean for the gameplay and how do you want this implemented?

A menu akin to that of Strike Force Heroes upgrade system. Exp gain is from enemies killed. It must transfer no matter a win or loss and is displayed as a bar. Experiences preceedes levels which will allow players to buy upgrades and unlock passive bonuses. Cash is just for purchases.

About Weapons equip coding:
Instance variable weapon
if player chooses handgun
set variable weapon to handgun
- if player variable is handgun
trigger once
set group handgun to active
in the group handgun have all the events that are diiferent from when the player has another weapon.

The problem is I plan to have helmets, armor, special ammo, and presets to weapons. Very simply put
like strikeforce heroes.

About character:

Either create animations for all you want or have the hands head pinned to the player sprite..
Another option would be to use an external program like Brashmonkey's Spriter to animate the player from loose parts and insert the whole in Construct2

The problem is I cannot figure how to pin AND angle AND rotationally flip the hand + head sprites. I've tried.
B

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Whilst you have to buy it (for the insanely low price of $25) I'd say Spriter is absolutely necessary for this project - the skin feature alone will save a lot of dev time.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:09 pm

It's all possible..

Maybe you should use arrays for your weapons and use functions to calculate everything you want..
What I would do is start making the basics you'd like and come here when you have issues that can be solved..
Like the pin example, you say you've tried, so maybe you can upload a capx in which you have the problem so we can work on that?
It's much easier to solve a problem, than to create a game..

About the enemies:
Give them line of sight behaviour or detect the distance between player and enemy..
If player is not in sight move towards player..
Minor stupidity would just be adding a bit of random to the shooting angle and such..

Experience would either be a global or instance variable
on enemy destroyed - add 1 to variable
set experienceBar to experienceBar.width + 5

A menu would be created visually from info in an array..
Because you have so many possibilities I think learning about arrays is inevitable..
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 pm

How do I force the sprite to mirror as soon as it hits a certain angle?
B

Next

Return to How do I....?