How do I make a tutorial dialogue

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • Hello guys.

I am making a platform game and before the first time you get to see something new like an item or mechanic I want a small tutorial text to appear.

My question is how can I make this in an efficient way. I am a beginner with C2 and this is what I have in mind.

I thought of making a character sprite to pop on in the screen with a dialogue box and the information needed. So when the player X between the X distance I want the tutorial to pop up the character sprite and the text, depeding on which item or mechanic needs to be explained. I thought of doing this in a layer called tutorial and set paralax to 0.0 place the image and set to invisible.

My question is, is this a proper way to do it or should I be trying to do it in a different way?

Here's an example of what I would like to do. Making the "tutorial" come up right in front, leaving the game behind in a second place.

• I always place these kind of text boxes outside the layout with a deactivated fade behaviour and implement the following event:

system / trigger once while true

system / distance(player.x, player.y, object.x, object.y) <= whatever

\\> textbox -> set position to element.x, element.y -100 (makes it appear above the element)

wait 2.0 seconds

activate fade behaviour (destroy after fade out)

This is one event with two conditions. Trigger once while true prevents it from resetting the textbox every tick.

• While I was waiting for a reply came up with a different idea. Make a layer with a design I am pleased set invisible and once I want it to show up I ll set layer to visible with the text I want and then back to invisible. This way I can make it look better graphic-wise than just popping up a textbox within the screen.

Does it sound good?

Also thanks for your reply, I appreciate it very much

• I don't see why it would look better. You set the layer visible which makes the text box pop up. What would be the difference?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't see why it would look better. You set the layer visible which makes the text box pop up. What would be the difference?

The difference would be I can actually make a full design with different objects to pop up at once instead just one text box.

• With the method I described you can pop up as many text boxes as you want. It isn't restricted to one box. Also I thought you wanted the specific boxes to appear when the player has reached a certain distance to a specific object. When they all are supposed to appear at once you don't need the distance calculation.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)