How do I make a whip swing effect

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:14 am

Howdy folks, I want to have a character in my game use a whip as a weapon, like Castlevania, and be able to use the whip to strike hooks and swing across pits of doom. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to event something like that.
Thank you,
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 am

Howdy folks, I want to have a character in my game use a whip as a weapon, like Castlevania, and be able to use the whip to strike hooks and swing across pits of doom. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to event something like that.
Thank you,
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:59 am

The quickest method I could think of, would be.. making a whip animation using sprites.

There's another possibility to use Physics to create a whip, by creating a series of revolute joints and apply force to the last one to create a realistic whipping motion.

I tried the Physics one, but failed. :mrgreen:

Check out the example file below.

The example has two Layouts -- 'Whip' and 'Fail - Physics whip concept'.

The 'Whip' layout contains an animated sprite whip, and the 'Fail - Physics whip concept' layout contains the failed whip based on revolute joints.

Press [Space] to activate the sprite whip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1wr1esrji53k ... .capx?dl=0
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:49 am

If you use the search function and look up "hook shot", "swing", "grappling hook" ,"castlevania", "bionic commando" and stuff like that, you can find a couple of different topics with swing examples. Here's one for C2.

viewtopic.php?f=147&t=150986&p=957154&hilit=swing+pendulum#p957154

If you're willing to download Construct Classic, here's another example of an actual whip attack and swing using some Castlevania sprites.

viewtopic.php?f=162&t=61424&p=528250&hilit=swing+pendulum#p528250
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?