How do I make an animated tiled background?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm wondering how i could make an animated tiled background (or at least make it change its texture) because I'm working on a game where the dimension changes and it changes textures.

- Ryan, Kdot Development

BTW, I tried making a different layout, but it didn't work...
Owner of Kdot Development.
https://kdotdevelopment.weebly.com
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:29 am

You can't make an animated tiled background. Maybe you should use effects and try to achieve what you want?
My first project:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:08 am

But, effects are only for WebGL, would it work on mobile devices?
Owner of Kdot Development.
https://kdotdevelopment.weebly.com
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:11 am

Yes, they all work even on mobiles without WebGL. Just make sure 'Enable WebGL' is always 'On' in your Project Properites.
My first project:
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:28 pm

The only 'light' way of doing that is sadly loading external GFX file from Project Files. Of course, you need to setup the speed and loop/cycle via events. But it is doable. Just be sure the TiledBg gfx files aren't that big. Because the engine will be loading/unloading it on fly. On modern desktops even 1024^2 won't lag. But on mobiles I would try with something smaller, like 512^2 or even less.

RobertMKD wrote:Yes, they all work even on mobiles without WebGL. Just make sure 'Enable WebGL' is always 'On' in your Project Properites.

Sadly - this isn't true. It all depends on device's hardware and OS version. As a rule of thumb - you want to avoid Effects if you plan on publishing your game on mobiles.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:40 pm

Niespor wrote:
RobertMKD wrote:Yes, they all work even on mobiles without WebGL. Just make sure 'Enable WebGL' is always 'On' in your Project Properites.

Sadly - this isn't true. It all depends on device's hardware and OS version. As a rule of thumb - you want to avoid Effects if you plan on publishing your game on mobiles.

If that is true, then how come all effects in my game work on mobile devices?
My first project:
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:58 pm

RobertMKD wrote:
Niespor wrote:

If that is true, then how come all effects in my game work on mobile devices?

It means you either did not used WebGL shaders, use it on a modern device or you confuse Shaders with Blending. I have 4 different android devices with android, ver. ranging from 2.X.X to newest 5.X.X and there is not a single Shader/Effect that would work across all of them. On oldest androids even blending doesn't work and you have to use sprite's alpha channel and opacity instead :lol:
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?