How do I Make Damage Numbers Change Size?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • I'm creating a top-down action/RPG where damage numbers appear over enemies when you attack them (or when they attack you!). I have that working fine, but I would like to make the display more dynamic by having the numbers start off "zoomed" when they first appear, then quickly shrink and vanish.

What is the most efficient way to add this "zoom" effect to my sprite font displays?

• Does it have to be sprite fonts - have you looked at using particles ?

• Yes, I'd ideally like it to be with Sprite Fonts, to keep my style consistent.

The look I'm going for is like in Diablo 3. There must be a way to use the "scale" on the Sprite Font to make it animate a grow/shrink, right?

• in that case there is a "spritefont set scale"

so something along the lines of

set an instance variable holding scale

then every x seconds

set spritefont scale to instance variable

instance variable=instance variable - 0.1

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • quick test

• Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for putting that example together. Good idea making the "iv"Scale instance variable to hold the value!

• Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for putting that example together. Good idea making the "iv"Scale instance variable to hold the value!

Glad you liked it.

( I'm full of good ideas )

• > Nice! That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for putting that example together. Good idea making the "iv"Scale instance variable to hold the value!

>

Glad you liked it.

( I'm full of good ideas )

RamPackWobble Nice solution with the ivScale!! I have add a little jump, because I was searching something like this

I want to be full of ideas (good ideas not possible for me hahaha) !!!

• Taking inspiration from Tarkion (OK I stole the idea about moving the spritefont upwards ) I now get...

• Hey works nice RamPackWobble

I was happy with my last modify setting the "...2*cos..." to "...10*cos..." and so the move upwards looked nice, but I like more your movement improved now haha!!!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)