How do I make isometic game...

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi, my name is Dusan :)
This is my fist post and I'm beginner in this...

I have question about isometric games.
Does anywhere in internet existing tutorial how to make isometric game. Not complete game...
I just need tutorial about object collision (I think collision).

If I have building and some moving object (sprite)
When I move on front side of building that sprite needs to be above building
but if I move sprite behind building i need that sprite to be behind.
Does any simple tutorial for this?

Thank you.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:12 pm

There are no tutorials that I am aware of but the answer is quite simple.

You know the problem, so try and think how you would solve this. I know of several solutions.

The first thing you could do is create a family that contains all sprite graphics. At the start of a layout, for each object in the family you could set its z order based on it's y coordinate. Any object that moves around (such as the player) you could put in another family and label it mobile sprites. Every tick in the game you would change the z order of objects based on their y position.

The second method would be to have two layers surrounding a character layer. For every object that can be walked behind you would split in half, putting part of it in a layer above characters or below, depending on what part of the object it is. This works well for grid based games where you can never be in front of a part of an object that you could also be behind. I think older games used this method but I am not sure.

----------------------

As for collisions, you need to create a polygon that allows the player to walk behind an object if that is what you want. A tree, for example, that was 64 pixels high may only have a collision polygon that is 32 pixels high.

Hopefully this helped.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:20 pm

Here is a really simple example for you. Take a look at all the behaviors and and the events. It should be all you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:39 pm

Go here:
https://www.scirra.com/forum/how-do-i-frequently-asked-questions_t63692

There is a section exclusively for isometric games

good thread to bookmark for pretty much anything you need in Construct. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Ok people,
I will research this and tell you what I'm done...

Thank you very much!
B
S

Return to Beginner's Questions