How do I make it isometric?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Build your map with these isometric objects and terrains
  • So.. i was happily creating a map for my game with Tiled, seeing some posts that paraded it's use with construct2. I should have read a bit more closely as it seems that the support was only to orthogonal tiles and not to the isometric style that i was going for. I've taken the tilesets shamelessly from the game "project zomboid " as it fits to my game theme like a fist to face (Now before anyone goes mental with copyright stuff.. i'm just using them for my personal use). Does anyone have ideas how i could go around this problem perhaps? i was thinking maybe if i just create the map one layer at a time and just screenshot them as a sprite on construct. maybe this way i could somehow keep the isometric style in place? Ah..i dunno, feeling quite discouraged, any help would be grand.

• Use rex_board and rex_squareTx plugins, then set the "squareTx" to isometric mode.

• Juicy

You could make you're own loader for isometric tiled files. You'll just need to use sprites instead of the tilemap object.

Here's an example:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... d_iso.capx

The tiles are imported into the sprite's animation as a sprite strip, and the tmx file needs to be saved with csv encoding.

• gumshoe2029: Never used plugins before, i tried to dl the plugins but the dropbox links to the files seem to be down :S

R0J0hound: wow, that looks neat, although i don't really understand yet how it actually works. I'm wondering though with this kind of approach, can you still make the map interactive, such as be able to collide with building walls, go inside of buildings, etc ?

A glimmer of hope still shines it seems..

• It just loads the tmx to a bunch of sprites. After that you can do whatever you like with them.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Got the plugins installed too. Im guessing its doing essentially the same thing as ROJOhouds proposal?

Would either one care to explain in retard, what exactly am i looking at here and how do i operate it?

• They do something entirely different to what my capx does. My capx loads an isometric tmx file to sprites, and those plugins help with motion and such in isometric. I couldn't tell you more because I've never used them.

• Could you tell me a bit how you load the tmx file? Your capx looks great, i'd just need somesort of manual to understand how to work with it.

I also found another plugin called "tmx importer v2". The demo is a straight top down map, but im wondering if this could also be set to isometric. I just can't seem to find any tutorial anywhere on how to actually use these. Frustrating as the tools seem to be out there but i have no idea in how to use them

• Okay, got it to draw the map somehow. So now since the map isn't showing on construct before i preview, how am i supposed to make the map interact with the player? such as collissions and the like.

• The simplest would be to use multiple layers in tiled and edit the capx to get more than the first layer. For example you could have one layer define the collisions.

To get it in the layout would need one to write a program to convert a tmx file to a C2 layout file and add it to your project.

• Soo.. going beyond just mere collissions, could i basically create a similar game to zomboid using this method? such as going inside buildings, creating multiple floors, seeing through walls where the player is etc? I'm guessing all of this if at all possible, should be done in TILED instead of Construct.

No one is propably working on anything resembling a program that would convert the file to C2 i suppose? This is quite supprising what a brick wall this is, one would have thought that construct2 would support this. As the main page intro videos first words are "remember the games you played growing up?". Yeah, damn straight i do! Syndicate, starcraft, diablo 2, commandos, jagged alliance, theme hospital, tiberian sun... im running out of breath

• There isn't any program that does that currently.

Most isometric games made in C2 don't use Tiled at all, they just turn on grid snapping and position sprites in C2's editor.

• Would you have any games in mind if i'd take a looksie how they are made?

edit: nevermind. I think i got it now. That grid snapping was the key to this i think. Also found a nice message that opened it up for me nicely

"Katala, that system for the tile maps.

I currently work with a sqaure, (in paintshop) rotated 45 deg, then resized to width: 100% height: 57%

then I set snap to grid in construct 2 to half width and half height of the resulting tile, giving me a perfect snap to grid with isometic tiling by means of sprites

Does require me to spawn/copy all the tiles ahead in the editor though.

But works really smooth."

Im a happy camper thanks for the help however!

• Bumping this a bit since my question is related to the same level desing.

I've gotten a small test map done and started to ponder how am i going to get my player to go inside a building and climb some stairs to another floor. The collissions seem a bit problematic. Could i set i somehow so that say if i walk stairs up, the program would shut down the collissions that were on before and activating the ones in the current floor? and perhaps i could get the player to bump with the wall only if the players and walls collission polygons meet?

Dont really know how to proceed from here :S

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/735 ... ctest.capx

• Here was my little code snippet that made isometric work for me:

For collisions, I basically made a little invisible point object that pushes the player away within a certain distance. This made it effectively "round" shaped, which was nice for helping push the player around it instead of just stopping movement entirely.

Inside buildings etc. could be handled with simple location code (>If Player.X within x-x >AND >If Player.Y within y-y >Set ThatOneWall invisible (>Else set ThatOneWall visible)) or with doorway object collisions/etc.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)