How do I make it isometric?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Soo.. going beyond just mere collissions, could i basically create a similar game to zomboid using this method? such as going inside buildings, creating multiple floors, seeing through walls where the player is etc? I'm guessing all of this if at all possible, should be done in TILED instead of Construct.

No one is propably working on anything resembling a program that would convert the file to C2 i suppose? This is quite supprising what a brick wall this is, one would have thought that construct2 would support this. As the main page intro videos first words are "remember the games you played growing up?". Yeah, damn straight i do! Syndicate, starcraft, diablo 2, commandos, jagged alliance, theme hospital, tiberian sun... im running out of breath :)
B
S

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:20 pm

There isn't any program that does that currently.

Most isometric games made in C2 don't use Tiled at all, they just turn on grid snapping and position sprites in C2's editor.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:06 pm

Would you have any games in mind if i'd take a looksie how they are made?

edit: nevermind. I think i got it now. That grid snapping was the key to this i think. Also found a nice message that opened it up for me nicely

"Katala, that system for the tile maps.
I currently work with a sqaure, (in paintshop) rotated 45 deg, then resized to width: 100% height: 57%
then I set snap to grid in construct 2 to half width and half height of the resulting tile, giving me a perfect snap to grid with isometic tiling by means of sprites :)
Does require me to spawn/copy all the tiles ahead in the editor though.
But works really smooth."

Im a happy camper :lol: thanks for the help however!
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 pm

Bumping this a bit since my question is related to the same level desing.

I've gotten a small test map done and started to ponder how am i going to get my player to go inside a building and climb some stairs to another floor. The collissions seem a bit problematic. Could i set i somehow so that say if i walk stairs up, the program would shut down the collissions that were on before and activating the ones in the current floor? and perhaps i could get the player to bump with the wall only if the players and walls collission polygons meet?

Dont really know how to proceed from here :S

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/735 ... ctest.capx
B
S

Post » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Here was my little code snippet that made isometric work for me: viewtopic.php?f=147&t=77355

For collisions, I basically made a little invisible point object that pushes the player away within a certain distance. This made it effectively "round" shaped, which was nice for helping push the player around it instead of just stopping movement entirely.

Inside buildings etc. could be handled with simple location code (>If Player.X within x-x >AND >If Player.Y within y-y >Set ThatOneWall invisible (>Else set ThatOneWall visible)) or with doorway object collisions/etc.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Thanks man, could you explain a bit how did you get that code done? I can't seem to find a way to create such snippet :/

a demo capx file would be grand.
B
S

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:58 am

Oh! In that example I added absolutely every sprite/etc. that will need to be isometric'd into the family IsoObject. So basically a family for almost every object you have other than HUD stuff, menu screens, and so on.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:12 am

Big thanks, i didn't really get it to work on my project yet, but i'm sure i'll figure it out eventually :)
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Best of luck! I'll try to remember to check back in.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Crap.. don't get it, i got the code done now, but it does really nothing to my map.. Could you open up a bit what the code actually does. i'm having a hard time understanding it. Or maybe drop a tiny demo file so i could understand it better. Does it matter if i have a dozen different layers on the map?`Im guessing the player object doesn't have to be in the family objects?

edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/735 ... test2.capx

uh, i got a sort of a different approach on the matter but im not at all confident this is a good way to go. Anyway it works kinda.. opinions?
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to How do I....?