How do I make levels increasingly harder?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Unlock Levels, Worlds & skin plus add coins by watching ads
  • Hello all,

So, I've been messing around with this game I've been working on, and there are three different difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, and Hard.

So far, I've got the easy difficulty how I want it, but I tried tweaking the events to see if it would do anything, but it seems like it stays the same.

How do you go about this? Any tips or tricks?

Thank you in advance!

• This depends heavily on your game and how it works.

For example, shifting the difficulty in a Tower Defense game will be different to a Jump & Run or Shoot 'em Up.

There is no general way that is applicable to all kinds of games.

Usually, you can increase the enemies health, damage, etc (basically stuff that is bad for the player) and increase stats that are beneficial for the player (like his health).

But for more detailed tips, you will have to provide us with more details of your game.

• Ah, alright. Well, it's just a simple bubble tap game. The bubbles spawn, float up, you have to pop them to get the score.

I want them to spawn faster on the different difficulties, it just seems to stay the same with each level.

• Make a global variable difficulty when 1=easy, 2=medium, 3=hard (if you want text its okay too). Just like when the player clicked the easy set variable to 1 or when in text ("easy").

then make it like this...

(use compare variable) difficulty = 1

sub event: every ? second

sub sub event: spawn bubble

• Thank you for the great help!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Many ways to add difficulty to a game.

Increase the number of enemies or obstacles.

Increase the speed and artificial intelligence of enemies.

Make player handicapped with less ammo or reduce number of health restore items.

Change the scenery using lighting effects. Make the player play the levels in the dark, rain, snow etc.

Make jumping platforms farther apart and make obstacles they have not seen to slide under or crawl up.

create puzzles like switches or keys to find and make those harder to solve in harder levels.

Change the physics of the player. Make them fly through a level or skateboard or hop or take away gravity.

Just a few ways to add difficulty to a level.

• Awesome, thank you for your answer!

How would one go about making one level increasingly faster, and creating faster spawns?

• Awesome, thank you for your answer!

How would one go about making one level increasingly faster, and creating faster spawns?

You use a global variable timer for spawning and decrease the amount of time between spawns.

Global Variable TIMER = 3

Every TIMER seconds: Spawn Enemy

On Difficulty = 1 Set TIMER = 3

On Difficulty =2 Set TIMER = 2

On Difficulty =3 Set Timer = 1

That way the spawn is faster and more difficult.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)