How do I Make My Thrown Axe Pin To Objects Reliably?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok, here comes the big text.
Basically I made a new EventSheet called SwordControl and put some basic stuff in there. I guess that will get you going, You can use my project and complete it with your other stuff.
You were going to deep where there wasn't much need. Sometime it's simpler than you imagine.

Something I wrote down while messing with your project:

Sword > On animation "Throw" finished > Set animation to "Throw"

This makes no sense. Just set the animation as a loop. (I did it)

The variable SwordGone is the opposite of HasSword, so there's no need for both of them. It just complicates stuff,
just use the inverse instead. ( So I deleted SwordGone).

Collisions get all buggy when you change the polygon shape of an object (especially physics ones), you need to set a single
collision shape for the whole animation.(preferably all the animations)

Added
On start of layout> Sword> Destroy (check SwordControl sheet)

Change on collision with sword to overlapping (so in case I throw it at my feet, there's no need to move away and back to it).

I'm using 2 variables to control sword pickup, canPickup is delayed by a half a second to be set to true after the release,
this way it has time to leave the collision area with the player, otherwise you would pick it up right after release,
meaning it wouldn't fly away.

Removed the physics behaviour of the sword, there's no need for it as it already has Bullet behaviour with gravity.
Also the Pin behaviour doesn't work well when used together/along with physics.

That's it, let me know if you still need help. Read all the comments on the event sheet to understand what I did.

ps: just tag me with @caiorosisca in case you need an answers. Makes it easier to keep track of the topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please tag me with @caiorosisca if your post is refering to me :). I don't always follow the topics I answer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank You, that is amazingly helpful! I am just starting out with construct 2, and I tend to out think myself when it comes to minute details and general logic (whoops) so outside clarification is immensely useful. As for the Attacking animation.. I spent some time drawing my protagonist and was originally was using Spriter to make my animations. However due to an error on my part the images i have been animating turned out to be humungous when exported to construct 2. But the main problem was that when I exported my animations to Construct 2 I found that all of the body parts where thrown on top of each other in a pile, not structured like in Spriter. So i had to use spriter to chop them up frame by frame in order to use them. However since I was then working with a ton of frames I couldn't figure out how to make the axe an independent sprite. Nevermind.. I think I just thought of a solution :roll: . Nvm again, I see that you fixed the attack animation function. Also, why doesn't the screen on Layout 2 scroll to my player? That's all, thank you so much for your time, is there a way that I can give you more reputation or something? I'm new to this system.
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 pm

I see your problem, I'm also very new to construct 2 and using bones animation sounded like a good ideia for me, unfortunatelly I haven't looked at it at all until now. I think as a solution you could pin it to the character and make it run an animation of itselft when you attack (just a quick workaround).
About layout 2, to be honest I only had a glance at what it was, but haven't looked into it at all. Try making a new layout and copying stuff, so you can find what is bugging it.
I'm quite sure there's nothing like rep or anything, no need for it tho.
Have fun
Please tag me with @caiorosisca if your post is refering to me :). I don't always follow the topics I answer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm

No problem, you've already helped enough and I'll try that.
B
S

Previous

Return to How do I....?