How do I map like minecraft/terraria

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your own adventure map with this easy to use asset pack.
  • Hello,

I know how to create a source like terraria / 2d minecraft. But in my version of it when a player places a block, it's made of a sprite. If i have hundreds of sprites the game will run slow i think? Is there a good way to improve this, or a better method?

The map wont be huge, its for a game with a map of +/- 500 x 500 tiles of 16x16 pix.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • With the tilemap object you can build the game with good performance intact.

https://www.scirra.com/manual/172/tilemap

• RickUSBstick

I'm working on a procedurally generated platformer with destructible terrain, which has between 3000 and 4000 64x64 terrain sprites, and that currently runs at 55-60fps, so it's do-able, even with over 200 objects with Platformer behaviour.

I use a lot of optimizations like only enabling collisions on terrain when it becomes accessible.

An alternative would be to use a TileMap, and when the player places a block sprite you use that to set the corresponding tile and remove the sprite.

EDIT: Just to note that's on PC, TileMap would probably be better for mobile.

• I know the tilemap object, but i want the player to build. So in short: when a user places a block, should i create a sprite or do something on a tilemap? Please help

• It depends on the game.

If, for example you want players to drag&drop tiles, then use a sprite at first.

When the player drops the sprite to its location, you can destroy the sprite and modify the appearance of the tile at the TileMap.

• It depends on the game.

If, for example you want players to drag&drop tiles, then use a sprite at first.

When the player drops the sprite to its location, you can destroy the sprite and modify the appearance of the tile at the TileMap.

Yes, thank you thats true and thats what i have now!

• Now, is there a good way to do for water?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)