How do I pick from multiple object types?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi
I am using a variety of plugins and keep hitting the same problem. I need to pick from multiple object types, but am forced to choose one for an action.

As an example, I have built a chess board using two different object types. I've used "tileBlack" and "tileWhite" objects. Initially I only had a single object type (tile) with different frames for the colouring, BUT i had problems with this that splitting it resolved.

Using the SLG_Movement plugin, I want to pick the path between the chosen piece and the clicked tile.. but I can only select one object type - ie Black tile or White tile. As a path will include both types of tiles, it'll make pathfinding impossible.

I have attached my capx file that builds the grid, places all the pieces, allows you to choose a piece, and it highlights moveable areas... BUT the areas are really inconsistent and movement just doesn't work properly.

I was hoping somebody could take a quick look and spot my obvious mistakes :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Have you looked at using a family for Tiles? I'm not at my computer so can't try the capx.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 pm

@codah Unfortunately i'm currently using the free version which doesn't support "families". :(

I wanted to make a prototype, ensure it did everything I wanted, before investing in the full version and publishing my game.

It's a great suggestion though, and it looks like its exactly what I need.

I guess i need to either invest in the full version and hope it'll do everything I need, or find an alternative.
B
S

Post » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:21 pm

I didn't realise. sorry about that. I bought the full version just days after first saw it. I think it's worth it
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Yeah, families are definitely the way to go. Barring that, I think you're gonna waste a lot of time finding a suitable solution to your problem, only to scrap it all once you get the full version.

What are you using to store your path? I can't see your capx because I'm not at my computer :c
B
S

Post » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:33 am

@codah no worries, and no need to apologise. I'm the cheapskate here lol.

@monitz87 im pretty sure I'll be buying this one, so you could be right on the wasting time thing. I'm using rexs' instgroup to store the path, and slg_movement to pick the path.

Ooooohhhh I've just figured out a way to do it! I place an invisible grid over the top and use that for pathfinding and highlighting etc. Frame 0 will just be transparent, frame 1 the highlight... That fixes everything for me :) the board can just be a background image.
B
S

Return to How do I....?