How do I Put a Layout Inside Another Layout

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:20 pm

I don't know if this is possible, but I'm wondering if someone has achieved drawing one layout inside another. The reason I want to do this is so that I can design a pause/inventory menu for my game that I can just link back to without creating a new layer in every layout or switching layouts

It wouldn't be a terrible alternative to have to switch layouts for this, but it'd be a lot easier just to be able to replace a layer in each game map layout with the pause menu layout.

If anyone can help with this, that'd be awesome! Thank you!
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 am

You can't run layouts within layouts, but check out global layers for HUDs etc.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks a lot! I'll look into that!
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:23 am

Not really what I was looking for, but maybe the only option? I think there should be a way to include layouts within layouts though..
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:45 am

It's impossible for layouts to be within layouts, or for them to be inter-connected in anyway, e.g. multi-layout editor, in Construct 2.

If you look back enough there's several threads I and other people made asking for Multi-layout editors and such but Ashley said it's impossible with the current architecture of the engine.

it's possible in Construct 3 since we'll be getting an editor SDK, but even then it's up to some genius to make it possible and not Ashley.

Your best bet is to make a save state of the game when switching to the pause menu and just loading the state when you exit the menu.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Nesteris wrote:It's impossible for layouts to be within layouts, or for them to be inter-connected in anyway, e.g. multi-layout editor, in Construct 2.

If you look back enough there's several threads I and other people made asking for Multi-layout editors and such but Ashley said it's impossible with the current architecture of the engine.

it's possible in Construct 3 since we'll be getting an editor SDK, but even then it's up to some genius to make it possible and not Ashley.

Your best bet is to make a save state of the game when switching to the pause menu and just loading the state when you exit the menu.

Rather than using save states I'll use an array to store the progress of the game, because save states won't do what I need it to.

So two layers can't run side by side... It seems like it'd be an easy task. Set up a layer that connects to a layout in the GUI and make the script that'd run the other layout run at the same time the layout you're actually on runs. The GUI would tell the engine to include the objects from one layout in the other, so you could include the event sheet that the other layout uses within the event sheet of the one you're actually on.

I'd have to take a look at Construct 3 later to see how that'd work though.

I also had the idea of just throwing all the objects I need for the menu in a folder and when I create a layout that uses the menu, create an event sheet that controls the object's positioning and then make them invisible when the menu isn't open, but that might become pointless.

I'll just go with your suggestion...
ImageImage
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?