How do I reduce memory usage by re designing my images

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:03 am

Sorry, I actually meant to use the word 'more' instead of 'me'. I was implying that there should be more information if anyone has such.

"prefer using canvas instead of webgl"
See, I don't really know what that means. I also don't know why Canvas would be preferred over WebGL. This is the information I would like.

"spritefont instead of text objects"
Is this simply using images of letters instead of the built in text creator? I'm sure I will be following this advice eventually once my games are near completion.

"reduce your sprites either in photoshop "
What would be the ideal sizes for the different uses (sprite fonts, animated sprites that move/immobile, etc.)?

Somebody out there that's release a large Construct2 should have their own idea of what works best. And again, this is probably the best 2D game engine anyone could start with.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:35 am

Question about reducing image size:

If I loaded a larger image than necessary for a sprite, if I just look at the sprite size in the properties bar then open up the image, resize to match the sprite size (then have to change the sprite size back to original as automatically reduces it), will this reduce the filesize? Or will the original higher quality image be retained?

If quickness is your deciding factor this seems to be the way to go, but wanted to verify this first so I don't mislead others.

Also, with the image export options, if choosing to reduce quality (jpeg and lower the quality rating) will that not be seen until export? That seems like a lot of hassle to play with that number and export each time to see if the quality loss is acceptable.

Sorry about asking questions and not giving any definite answers but thought on topic and may be helpful for the discussion.

Thanks
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:38 pm

Read this for better understanding of webgl and canvas2d ... in short ... webgl is mostly used in this community for effects such as light... blend modes... lava effects and other cool stuff that u usually do in flash... which html5 (javascript based) cannot do without WebGL
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?