How do I run a game on Linux (exported via NW.js) ?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello,

It might sound like a silly question but I can't figure out how to launch a game exported via NW.js on Linux.

I read the tutorial and it says "On Linux, the following command enables execute permission for the file 'mygame'.". So I understand that I have to give the execute permission to that file. The problem is that the exporter doesn't output any file with the name of my game ("supertimer"). Here are the files / directories inside my linux64 directory :

lib (dir)
locales (dir)
icudtl.dat
nacl_helper
nacl_helper_bootstrap
natives_blob.bin
nw
nw_100_percent.pak
package.nw
resources.pak

I made the export with the latest build of Construct (r221) and the latest release of NW.js v0.13.0-beta4 (01/18/2016). Is there something I'm missing, or is that a bug caused by the "significant changes" to NW.js support included in r221 update ?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. : The exported game runs fine on Windows though.
B

Post » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Hello everyone,

Is there an obvious answer to my question or nobody has any clue ?

Bye !
B

Post » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:04 pm

You have to make 'nw' executable. Sometimes it's enough to make a double click on it and you will be asked if you want to make it executable.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Hmm, try:
1) Run terminal in the linux game directory
2) chmod a+x nw
3) run the file, either through your file manager or terminal ("nw" without the quotes)
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks for your answers.

I already tried to make "nw" executable with the command "chmod a+x nw", but when I try to run nw, the terminal says :

"The program 'nw' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install netrw".

I thought there was a conflit with an existing packet, so I tried to rename "nw" to the name of my game and make it executable again, but it then says that the program does not exist.

I am stuck !
B

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:27 am

First look with ls -la if the file permissions of your game looks something like that:
-rwxr--r-- 1 me me 166864 Jan 18 06:11 Mygame

the x means executable. Then start this with ./Mygame
If your game is named nw type ./nw
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes it works !

Thanks a lot for your help.
B

Post » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:16 pm

Sorry to reopen this thread but I'm having this same issue. I have already checked the file permission and it's everything ok but the system continues to warning me that there is no application installed for "shared library" files and asking me if want to search one. I try to execute the app through the terminal and I got the message: "The program 'nw' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing sudo apt install newtrw. So, I did it and now, when I try to open the nw in the terminal, it shows a lot of options (nw [udp] <options> <host> <port>) . In the file manager, all remains the same (Could not display 'nw'. There is no application installed ...). I really need to show this demonstration for a possible client that only use linux. Any help, please?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:07 am

@Asmodean

Could you help me with this, please?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:55 am

Sorry @RBuster I saw your post only now. Does it work now, or do you still need help?
B
S
G

Next

Return to How do I....?