How do I - Scene Based Levels ?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu May 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi,
How I do scene based levels, like made with buildbox games (The Line Zen, Color Switch, Bounce...)

I want to do;
Example:
Level-1 [Randomly selected 5 scenes]
Level-2 [Randomly selected 10 scenes]
Level-3 [Randomly selected 15 scenes]
and
Endless Game Mode [Randomly selected unlimited scenes]

Example Animation:

VIDEOS:

The Making of The Line Zen (iOS Android Indie Game)
https://youtu.be/EzAOENuEMRc?t=7m20s

The Making of Bounce (iOS Android Indie Game)
https://youtu.be/rU0s28IzIHE?t=2m05s

Sorry, I using Google translate.
B
S

Post » Thu May 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi!

If you are not experienced in construct 2 and/or game making I do not recommend you build this type of game. Start of with something extremely simple, think simpler than flappy bird. There is no simple way (to my knowledge) to make a scene based game in construct 2. I see that buildbox has a scene editor, this is not a feature in construct 2 and would take some experience to replicate in construct 2. try and make a game that is simple to make in construct 2. The pros of construct 2 over something like buildbox is that you can build almost any type of game and get more "customisation". Wow I said construct 2 way too many times...
B
S

Post » Thu May 19, 2016 10:22 pm

@BunnehBoy Thanks for reply.
I'm really want to game making. I watching a lot of tutorials and reading ebooks.
I can't make my game with buildbox. Only like buildbox's scene editor. No other features to help me.
I researched many game making engine; GameSalad, Buildbox, Stencyl, GameMaker vs... I love Construct 2. Flexible structure and amazing support.
Somehow I've got to do it. There must be a way.
B
S

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 3:14 am

Just use Go to layout by name and enter choose("level1","level2","level3","level4","level5")
You just need to name your layouts correctly.

Or you can have a text variable with that choose() and enter the level name there.

This will load one of those layouts randomly.

Use this (from the layout selector layout?) when you want to go to a random layout, change the names appropriately.
So when you click your level one have 5 level names in there, for your level 2 add 10 names in there etc.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 12:08 pm

evillair wrote:Just use Go to layout by name and enter choose("level1","level2","level3","level4","level5")
You just need to name your layouts correctly.

Or you can have a text variable with that choose() and enter the level name there.

This will load one of those layouts randomly.

Use this (from the layout selector layout?) when you want to go to a random layout, change the names appropriately.
So when you click your level one have 5 level names in there, for your level 2 add 10 names in there etc.

This not working good, how do I copy from other layout objects (background, enemies, particles and positions vs.) or layers new layout?
Please look my animation. How do I show like a unified scenes?
B
S

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 1:07 pm

Just make your first layout with everything you need and duplicate the layout. Or just generate a random layout each time.
Perhaps others have a better idea?
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 1:29 pm

Ok you don't know how to copy and paste its same way you copy and paste text. Youleft click mouse , hold it down and go over the parts you want to copy.

@BunnehBoy please don't tell users to make flappybird. Incurage them to try something bigger and better. Construct2 is better than flappybird and doodle jump. You can make games like this that have a little depth

Check out my awesome Android Game releases https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... ames&hl=en
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 3:34 pm

PixelPower wrote:Ok you don't know how to copy and paste its same way you copy and paste text. Youleft click mouse , hold it down and go over the parts you want to copy.

You don't understand me. I know how to duplicate layer or layout. Please watch making of series. I want to make scene based levels. (similar Color Switch game)
B
S

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Holy crap, you guys really misunderstood this guy. He's trying to make a game that works on one layout and randomly choosing "scenes" to create a somewhat randomly generated game.

This type of game requires some experience to make in construct 2, this might be easier with some other game engine. You can instead try to make some simple games first to learn the software and keep your dream project in the back of your head until you have the experience to make it.

@PixelPower
I think it's a good idea to start of with a very simple game (for your first couple of games). and then focusing on polishing that to the best of your ability. Telling people to start off with a big complicated game is almost assured to trap them in "development hell". Better too small than not finished or even unpolished.
B
S

Post » Fri May 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Yeah, you guys really missed the point of what he was asking...

Quasar, I'm sorry to say, as much as I love C2 and swear by it, you've found what in my (probably worthless) opinion is one of its major flaws - the inability to insert the contents of one layout into another. You could probably get something working with an enormous amount of code nonsense, but Construct 2 is naturally not suited to this type of thing. I've had ideas for games that would require an engine like that and have abandoned them because I simply have no idea how to get C2 to do it.

Does anyone have a workaround for this, or something? I too would be delighted to find a way to get functionality like this in C2.

Coming soon on Steam!
B
S
G

Next

Return to How do I....?