How do I set the Score "properly" in my BreakOut Game?

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 8:32 am

Hello to all! :mrgreen: For my 1st project I intent to do an arkanoid/breakout clone based primarily on what I learn from this tutorial -> (Youtube Construct 2 Tutorial - Breakout Clone by Lee Stemkoski) and after I fix some issues it worked! I learn how to make the score with (the Beginner´s guide to Construct 2 by Ashley) but here´s the problem: I added "powerups" to the game, for example a "fireball" or a "laser paddle" and they blow more that just 1 brick and I don´t know to tell the game I want it to count all the bricks that destroys and not just get one point when the bullet (the ball) collision with the sprites (bricks). I look in another tutorial online that mention this problem but I didn´t find the option the guy uses to solve the problem :P
Edit: (I edited to make it more clear but I know is hard to understand what I´m talking about)
Last edited by charliesan763 on Sun May 24, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Did you destroy the fireball or laser paddle on collision? Once it collides with one enemy it will be destroyed and not harm another, if I can envision what you're talking about...
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 2:53 pm

I'm not sure if I understand, but wouldn't this be the solution?

brick on destroyed - system add 1 to score
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 pm

crypticblonde wrote:Did you destroy the fireball or laser paddle on collision? Once it collides with one enemy it will be destroyed and not harm another, if I can envision what you're talking about...

I´m really sorry :oops: I just notice I´m not yet permitted to post plain text URLS.

LittleStain wrote:I'm not sure if I understand, but wouldn't this be the solution?
brick on destroyed - system add 1 to score

Yes I already did that for the ball/brick collision and works just fine, my problem are the "powerups" that destroys more that one brick at a time :(

I will upload my breakout capx as soon as I learn how to :P
Edit: Ok I just upload the game in Bitballon

hxxp://breakout dot bitballoon dot com/

Controls
(Cheat Codes form 1 to 9)

key 4 "fireball"
key 6 "laser paddle" (shoots with spacebar)

It´s not spam, that´s my game project, I hope I´m not breaking any rule by doing this I just need some help.
B

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Why would there be a problem with more bricks being destroyed when each brick that gets destroyed adds 1 to the score?
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 10:48 pm

LittleStain wrote:Why would there be a problem with more bricks being destroyed when each brick that gets destroyed adds 1 to the score?

The score register the ball/brick collision as 1 "point" but with the powerups there are more than 1 brick destroyed in the collisions and I want it to give points for all the bricks destroyed in the collisions but I didn´t find a way to do that :(
B

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 10:54 pm

i tested your capx, seems the blue ball works perfect the problem is with the red ball, that on collision instead of passing through the bricks , hits the first and destroys like 4 -5 blocks, i think you did a destroy on counting the destroyed blocks and then on collision will destroy as many blocks as you had destroyed before, try clone the effect the blue ball has, and see where the glitch is in your events,if you could post a capx for the red ball events maybe we can fix them :) cheers
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 11:17 pm

charliesan763 wrote:
LittleStain wrote:Why would there be a problem with more bricks being destroyed when each brick that gets destroyed adds 1 to the score?

The score register the ball/brick collision as 1 "point" but with the powerups there are more than 1 brick destroyed in the collisions and I want it to give points for all the bricks destroyed in the collisions but I didn´t find a way to do that :(

Use the event:

brick on destroyed - add 1 to score

that will make it so that when a\ brick is destroyed 1 will be added..
every brick that is destroyed will add 1..
So not test the collision but "on destroyed", easy right?
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Yeah, I solve it yesterday at night :D indeed I change it to brick on destroyed, now it´s 99% funtional!, I just have to solve another issue with the pause and the restart conditions and when it´s finally working properly I need to start writing the story and desingning the charas, levels, etc. :) Thanks a lot to everyone for the help ;)
B

Return to Beginner's Questions