How do i start making plugs>? >_<

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:56 pm

Well all the files downloaded correctly, then when its installing it gets up to a certain point, but eventually just crashes, windows says the program has stopped working, and the installer shows a failure on all the installation because .net messed up (after it had said it worked)

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:10 am

I'd say update Windows, reboot, and try again.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:48 am

Yeah, not sure why the setup doesn't work, maybe re-download and try again?

C++ is a large, complex and sometimes needlessly difficult due to backwards compatibility issues (it's a few decades old now, obviously technology has completely changed in that time). If you pick it as your first language to learn you're going to get a baptism of fire, but then other languages will be nice and straightforward in comparison! :P

You can't learn C++, or any programming language, or anything, in 21 days. You need practice and experience to be a good programmer. I don't think I could have described myself as a "good" programmer before this year (2010), and I was coding as a hobby for several years before that! Give it time, but it's cool and fun, so good luck :)

Construct 0.x has to use Visual C++ because the plugin-to-IDE interface is designed with compiler specific features (i.e. badly designed). So I'm afraid you probably won't succeed in getting other compilers to work with the SDK. This is something that's going to be improved upon in C2.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:20 am

[quote:1xzvs1jj]Construct 0.x has to use Visual C++ because the plugin-to-IDE interface is designed with compiler specific features (i.e. badly designed). So I'm afraid you probably won't succeed in getting other compilers to work with the SDK. This is something that's going to be improved upon in C2.[/quote:1xzvs1jj]

Yeah, ok maybe I'll try installing VC++2008 express edition.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:45 am

I'm kinda surprised no ones made a plug out of this yet:
[url:1aco6rf6]http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=How_To:_Create_a_plugin[/url:1aco6rf6]

Sure its easily replicated by events, but just like the Ghost Shooter tut, a finished product is quite useful.

Anyway, good luck.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:53 am

[quote="Ashley":b50c8opi]You can't learn C++, or any programming language, or anything, in 21 days... [/quote:b50c8opi]
of course not. but it's like the ghost shooter tutorial, it lets you dive in and get a good overview of the basics, and a basic grasp of a wide array of concepts. from there you can delve deeper into that which is unclear, or that which interests you most. it isn't so much the speed of the book, it's the conciseness. I suppose it depends on the learner, but I find learning programming more enjoyable when I first see the whole picture, and then I lean in for a closer look from there, rather than getting tiny pieces of the picture exposed, while being blind to the rest. especially since at the time I decided to really learn c++ was to start making plugins for construct. i think it's a much more fun learning platform than the text console
but ashley's right, definitely don't go into it trying to learn it as fast as possible. learn it as thoroughly as possible.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am

[quote="newt":29366bj4]I'm kinda surprised no ones made a plug out of this yet:
[url:29366bj4]http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/construct/index.php?title=How_To:_Create_a_plugin[/url:29366bj4]

Sure its easily replicated by events, but just like the Ghost Shooter tut, a finished product is quite useful.

Anyway, good luck.[/quote:29366bj4]

Now I've finally got the ATL files I'm starting on that WIKI tut now. Fingers - and everything else - crossed :)
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:20 am

[quote:35agt5vk]Well all the files downloaded correctly, then when its installing it gets up to a certain point, but eventually just crashes, windows says the program has stopped working, and the installer shows a failure on all the installation because .net messed up (after it had said it worked)[/quote:35agt5vk]

Does it give you the option to not install .NET? If you can do that and try again.

Or you can try installing .net separately first.
[url:35agt5vk]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/cc378097[/url:35agt5vk]
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:49 am

Now I know that MS really wants to irritate their customers.
I remembered from my prevoius experience of installing VC#, that it was not possible to install it in any other drive other than the system drive(C:), googled for it and found that you really CANNOT install it in any other drive. And since my C: drive has just 1.6GB of space left I think I should foget about making plugs till C2 or wait for a system format.

Here's a MSDN blog stating the reasons why you can't install it on any other drive-
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archive/ ... space.aspx

I didn't bother to read it :P
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:24 am

If I remember correctly Dreamspark works up here in Canada Land. You can get the full visual studio from there for free. You should try that to see if it works.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct engineering