How do I start this kind of Pizza Creator Game?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 am

So I am trying to make a game where you can build your own custom pizza from any elements you desire, from the list ( type of Crust, Sauce, Toppings ) I want the menu with these three compartments on the Right of the screen and when you press on Toppings, for example, a list of all them appears where you can select any, one by one. When you select any type of object, it overlays on the Crust, on on another. And you build you pizza like that.
What object types do i need to use for them to overlay one on another? And how do I create a menu on the right of the screen which will add these objects? Please, advice how I start it. I know it is different from usual games you create with this program, but I am sure it is much simpler. I have read the full manual, but I have no idea how to start...
Last edited by MangoPolo on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Basically you can start with the main mechanic of picking and placing items. For the placement you can make the base of the pizza z index 0 then have a global to keep the current zindex as a variable and increment as they are placing toppings making the next topping they place on top of the current items. Being that you have to have one of each it you going to use somewhere in you project I usually make a dummy layout for holding all my spirited I will use. And you just spawn a copy when the person choose their topping.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 pm

sounds rather complicated for me, you know? ))) I am a total beginner... I only know about object types at the moment, behaviors and what events do. but not yet figured out what z index is about and variables and many others. what parts of the manual should I read to gather knowledge for this kind of game?
The very first time I asked this question someone responded like this:

You will need:
1) Use layers and z-index
2) Use array for storage and calculation

But I still have no idea what to start with? Afterwards it would be simple for me to progress, but what to start with? As a total noob in this soft? :)
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:09 pm

If you are a total beginner, wouldn't it make more sense to start off doing a few simple tutorials that will teach you the fundamentals of the event system, etc. After that, making a few prototypes of what you want should then be within your grasp.

Jumping straight into trying to make a game isn't really the best way of learning, as it can lead to more frustration.

Small steps, as they say....
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:15 pm

yes, that is obvious, but what I want to create is a couple of times simplier and different from the games created mostly by C2. I just need menu commands place objects , a menu itself and things around these ...

that is why I am asking what parts of the programm should I learn and which tutorials are nearest to what I am planning? as I dont need to know the whole functionality of this, at least now... later I will use my time for it for sure...
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm

I would like to advice you to do the Beginner's guide to C2
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/37/beg ... e-1#tuttop

It cover's pretty much the tools you need to build your pizza game.
For example
In the tutorial, you learn how to create monsters every x seconds on position x. This is what you need to know how to place toppings on your pizza. Instead of spawning monsters on the map on position x every x seconds. You make something like this. Spawn pizza topping on position Y on click button (sprite).

Good luck :D
It's time for me to return the favor :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Thank you with this answers! I started this guide few days ago but paused for looking to other materials as I was thinking none of these functions I will need. But I will continue then..
If someone has also other ideas and suggestions, please leave them here.
Thanks!
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:40 pm

It's all about breaking everything down to bite size pieces so you don't panic or feel overwelmed.

I will give you your first task. Once you achieve that I will suggest your next.

Task number one get selection working. Don't work on nothing else but that. Post your capx to be reviewed.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:26 pm

PhoenixNightly wrote:It's all about breaking everything down to bite size pieces so you don't panic or feel overwelmed.

I will give you your first task. Once you achieve that I will suggest your next.

Task number one get selection working. Don't work on nothing else but that. Post your capx to be reviewed.

by selection you mean create a menu and assign to each element a function?
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Yes don't have to be anything visual grand right now. A rough draft of visuals is fine.
B
S
G

Next

Return to How do I....?