How do I tell if any event in a group was triggered?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:20 am

Somebody wrote:Hence the groups: If event in group "X" has fired

Sorry I tend to take intuitive leaps but more often than not fall off a cliff :lol: Yes it would be great to be able to do what you're asking :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:27 am

codah wrote:Sorry I tend to take intuitive leaps but more often than not fall off a cliff :lol: Yes it would be great to be able to do what you're asking :)

np, I'm the same way :)

But yeah, this could make certain things much more straightforward. If there's no workaround perhaps @Ashley could add "Have any events in group 'X' fired" event as a feature.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:53 am

Why do you need to do that? For a feature suggestion to be compelling you need to outline a really good use case and describe why it's not easily possible by any other means, in detail. Detecting if any event in a group has run seems like a pretty niche thing to do.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 am

Ok, an example - 24 keypresses have a certain effect and if that is the case we should do actions A and B, 16 other keypresses have a different effect and only action B should be taken. Currently I have to add a Set global variable to each and every one of those keypresses and if the order or such needs to be changed go through them again. Action B is reasonably extensive so doing it on any keypress would be wasteful.

I suspect plenty of other uses could be found, such as, say, changing things in a settings screen, etc - you could just add a single save event at the end if there's been any activity in a given group, be it clicks, keystrokes or something else. Or, the player gets damaged by one of umpteen different enemy families, each one with different impact fx, etc, but in the end you check but this one thing for a screen flash for damage. And so on and so on.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?