How do I Use a D-Pad on a Snes style gamepad?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • Hi,

I've no problem setting up an XBOX 360 Controller, but I bought some USB Snes type controllers the other day hoping to use them in Construct 2 for a bit of a retro feel, but I've ran into a hitch. I can't seem to get the D-Pad to work correctly. I can get some directions working, but others seem to have a mind of their own. Maybe I'm implementing them wrong.

I know the pads are working ok, they both output the correct values in Windows 10 Controller Config - the hat of the D-Pad moves as it should etc. there's also very little info in the Construct 2 manual on alternate gamepads.

Any ideas guys?

Update...

After some further testing it seems that the Left and Right (Y Axis) is detected, <-1 for Left and >1 for Right. The Up and Down (X Axis) doesn't appear to change when used. I tested the controller until I found a number where nothing happened when the controller was centered, this odd number was 329. But testing higher or lower doesn't seem to be detected, leading me to assume that Construct 2 doesn't detect the X Axis of the Gamepad sadly.

Guess I'll have to return them, as they aren't going to be much use.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi,

I've no problem setting up an XBOX 360 Controller, but I bought some USB Snes type controllers the other day hoping to use them in Construct 2 for a bit of a retro feel, but I've ran into a hitch. I can't seem to get the D-Pad to work correctly. I can get some directions working, but others seem to have a mind of their own. Maybe I'm implementing them wrong.

I know the pads are working ok, they both output the correct values in Windows 10 Controller Config - the hat of the D-Pad moves as it should etc. there's also very little info in the Construct 2 manual on alternate gamepads.

Any ideas guys?

Update...

After some further testing it seems that the Left and Right (Y Axis) is detected, <-1 for Left and >1 for Right. The Up and Down (X Axis) doesn't appear to change when used. I tested the controller until I found a number where nothing happened when the controller was centered, this odd number was 329. But testing higher or lower doesn't seem to be detected, leading me to assume that Construct 2 doesn't detect the X Axis of the Gamepad sadly.

Guess I'll have to return them, as they aren't going to be much use.

i know that only xbox360 compatible controllers are fully supported, other devices may have inverted or unavailable functions

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)