How do I use a lobby server for a multiplayer game ?

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Ratmaster wrote:Well now I know I can do that, but I'm still confused about 2 things :

1. How do I install the signalling server on my web server ? (as I said it's not explained anywhere I read)

2. After installing it, what do I need to do in Construct 2 ? Do I have to connect every peer to a "global" room, and then connect them in a sub-room (I'm not sure how to say that ^^') with a limited number of places (here 2, 3 or 4) when they want to start a game together ? (and connect them back to the global room it they disconnect from the sub-room)

1. You don't. You just use Scirra's. Ashley provides their signalling server for all users of Construct to use freely out of the goodness of his heart.

1a. If you want your own signalling server, you must first have a server. This brings you back to a dedicated server. There is probably some programming you would have to do on the backend then. Maybe you can find an open-source signalling server? If your primary goal is avoiding backend programming, then insisting on your own signalling server is a contradictory goal.

2. The multiplayer plugin should automatically (maybe?) connect to it to find hosts/peers. I've never used the multiplayer plugin, so I can't say for sure.
See my links here: viewtopic.php?t=186282#p1091413

3. If you want a private tutorial on how to use AWS, I'll be happy to PM you a bunch of links to useful tutorials that I used.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 pm

@gumshoe2029 Thx a lot for your new answer :-)

As I said earlier, the free Scirra's signaling server is unstable (probably because there are now too many construct 2 users and it can't always handle it) and sometimes it doesn't work for a long time :-/ (I had some issues when testing tutorial projects, etc... and I read some forum threads where others construct 2 users were having issues with their multiplayer games because of that too) so I don't want to depend on it ^^
It's a very important project to me and I really need it to work at all times, so I'm absolutely sure I need my own signalling server to do that.
My primary goal is not to avoid backend programming at all costs. I'm really glad Construct 2 allows me to do that most of the time so I can focus on gamedesign, etc... but if I have to code a few things to get what I need I will, I just need to learn how to do it ^^

I'm going to take you up on that offer, I hope your tutorials will help me ^^
Hello !

I'm Steven, a 24 years old French graphic designer and programmer, and it's been 4 years since I started using Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Ratmaster wrote:@gumshoe2029 Thx a lot for your new answer :-)

As I said earlier, the free Scirra's signaling server is unstable (probably because there are now too many construct 2 users and it can't always handle it) and sometimes it doesn't work for a long time :-/ (I had some issues when testing tutorial projects, etc... and I read some forum threads where others construct 2 users were having issues with their multiplayer games because of that too) so I don't want to depend on it ^^
It's a very important project to me and I really need it to work at all times, so I'm absolutely sure I need my own signalling server to do that.
My primary goal is not to avoid backend programming at all costs. I'm really glad Construct 2 allows me to do that most of the time so I can focus on gamedesign, etc... but if I have to code a few things to get what I need I will, I just need to learn how to do it ^^

I'm going to take you up on that offer, I hope your tutorials will help me ^^

For starters, look up tutorials on setting up "EC2" for AWS. I would recommend Linux, but you can use a Windows server if you really want.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 am

@gumshoe2029 thanks a lot, I will look it up then :-D
Hello !

I'm Steven, a 24 years old French graphic designer and programmer, and it's been 4 years since I started using Construct 2.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?