How do I use Jump Sustain? (Dynamic button-holding jumps)

Just started using Construct 2? Post your questions here

Post » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:53 am

I have a 2D Platformer game, and I need the jumps to feel more responsive. I'm trying to achieve what is done in games like Super Meat Boy and Mario- which is changing the force of the jump based on how long the jump button is held down.

I tried fiddling with the 'Jump Sustain' behavior in the player platformer, but nothing seems to be changing. The only other way I think this can be done is by modifying forces based on button pressed and button released, but I'm not making any progress.

Can someone point me in the right direction?
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:58 am

Message: General J is not yet permitted to post plain text URLS (300 rep required). 1 URLS removed. Why?
Oops wait, I just found this tutorial which seems to explain my problem in exact detail. I'll try this again on my own and bump if I have any problems, sorry.
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:30 am

Yup I completely solved it. Please close the thread. I'm too new to link URL's, so if you're wondering the same thing search "Platform Jump Height Based on Tap or Click Duration" by MrGoatSnake in the tutorials section.
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks for explaining the missing url :)
Image Hats off to me too !
Steam user
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:42 pm

I was doing research on these mechanic couple of months ago and succeed:
- wall slide
- wall jump
- analog jump
- anticipate jump (sustain jump)
- tolerance jump

And that was before Ashley add extra feature to platform behaviour. Kind of funny it became default feature :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:54 pm

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1048/p ... k-duration

Yay! my tutorial helped someone! I wrote that tutorial and it seemed like it was one or two releases later they added those features.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:25 am

@MrGoatSnake Heyyo, great looking tutorial, but all the images and links associated are currently broken links. Any chance it can be updated?
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:53 pm

@80bit this must have been an issue with the Scirra website. Everything looks fine when I visit it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I was having this problem too, the "Jump sustain" function already in C2 wasn't working for me, and after some investigation on my part, it turned out it was for a very simple reason! For my "Jump" control, on the Event sheet, I was using the condition "On W pressed" instead of "On W down"; so it didn't know the key was held down!

I thought that info could be useful for anyone searching through the forum for the same thing I did and finds this thread, with this no need to follow any tutorial. =)
B
S
G

Return to Beginner's Questions