How do I use webstorage on level select

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A set of retro 16-Bit Neon UI elements to make your menus pop!
  • Hi how do i use webstorage to keep the levels unlocked once they have been passed. I used a simple level select tutorial i found where each level has its own global number ie level1,level2,level3 ect. they all = 0 till you pass the level and it will add 1 to unlock the next level. I have only ever used webstorage for highscores and can't work out how to adapt it for what i need it for.

any help would be great and thanks in advance

• if your levels are linear, you can just add a var 'level' starting at 1 and add 1 to it when you finish a level.

then save it to webstorage - add key="level" value=level.

if not i recommend you add a dictionary instead of pre-adding all the levels as vars (may be a lot of them) and push a key to it every time you finish a level - add key="level"&level (value doesn't matter, if you want to keep an extra state of the level you can write it in the value, i usually write down another json in the value with all my data).

then save this dictionary to json to webstorage.

• thanks for the reply Lof

I did try to have one var like you said done it the same way just added 1 per win. The problem i had with that was you could just play the 1st level over and over to unlock all the other levels. but i think it might just be easier to do it that way and hope people don't work it out.

and il have to have a look into dictionary

Thanks again

• so have two vars 'level' 'nextLevel', set level to the right level at the beginning of each level and then when you finish set 'nextLevel' to level+1

or to be exact set it to max(nextLevel,level+1), so if you'll reach level 10 and go back to play level 1 it won't return to 2.

• provokedninja did you figure it out? can someone post a capx?

• provokedninja did you figure it out? can someone post a capx?

Webstorage is deprecated. You should really look at using Local Storage now.

• Webstorage is deprecated. You should really look at using Local Storage now.

how we can save arrays in local storage

• > Webstorage is deprecated. You should really look at using Local Storage now.

>

how we can save arrays in local storage

Wouldn't that be as easy as setting the item to Array.AsJson ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yup just save it to json then load it from json.

• OK i can save by arryay.as.Json

but how to load it on startup

• As explained in this tutorial:

how to use the localstorage plugin:

In your on start of layout add an actiont to check if local storage item exists

add a new event to your event sheet:

local storage on item exist:

array load : localstorage.itemvalue

As far as I know you don't need a step inbetween..

• ok ok ok

now i m getting this point

global variable and array has same method to save

in array

local storage on item exist:

array load : localstorage.itemvalue

this is a little change

otherwise everything is same

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)