How do I

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 pm

To turn physics into a top-down model don't you just need to turn off gravity?
ImageImageImage
B
40
S
23
G
11
Posts: 498
Reputation: 10,062

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 pm

badmoodtaylor wrote:To turn physics into a top-down model don't you just need to turn off gravity?


maybe?
B
10
S
4
Posts: 144
Reputation: 1,246

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:54 am

jamiek wrote:
badmoodtaylor wrote:To turn physics into a top-down model don't you just need to turn off gravity?


maybe?


Informative!

Ha, jk. I put it as a question to see if anyone disagrees. I believe I have done it in a project before, for a top down soccer game actually, and it seemed to work just fine for that purpose. Just if there is zero gravity you might have it increase some attributes to help slow down objects so they don't appear as floating (linear dampening?). I'm not confident though because it was a while ago and only played around with it for a couple of hours, so could get unrealistic looking under some circumstances I didn't encounter.
ImageImageImage
B
40
S
23
G
11
Posts: 498
Reputation: 10,062

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:03 am

That's pretty much how you'd do it using the physics behavior. Set gravity to 0 and use linear damping to slow the balls down over time. One complaint I've seen is the collisions can be spongy at times. You can improve that by setting the iterations up higher in the physics settings.

You could use the bullet behavior instead but multiple balls bouncing off each other won't be handled well.

A third way would be to do to custom made physics. This is the very advanced approach, but can yield more precise physics. The ultimate would be to impliment 3D physics for the balls.
B
92
S
32
G
109
Posts: 5,290
Reputation: 70,991

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:20 pm

badmoodtaylor wrote:
jamiek wrote:
badmoodtaylor wrote:To turn physics into a top-down model don't you just need to turn off gravity?


maybe?


Informative!

Ha, jk. I put it as a question to see if anyone disagrees. I believe I have done it in a project before, for a top down soccer game actually, and it seemed to work just fine for that purpose. Just if there is zero gravity you might have it increase some attributes to help slow down objects so they don't appear as floating (linear dampening?). I'm not confident though because it was a while ago and only played around with it for a couple of hours, so could get unrealistic looking under some circumstances I didn't encounter.


lol thanks
B
10
S
4
Posts: 144
Reputation: 1,246

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:21 pm

R0J0hound wrote:That's pretty much how you'd do it using the physics behavior. Set gravity to 0 and use linear damping to slow the balls down over time. One complaint I've seen is the collisions can be spongy at times. You can improve that by setting the iterations up higher in the physics settings.

You could use the bullet behavior instead but multiple balls bouncing off each other won't be handled well.

A third way would be to do to custom made physics. This is the very advanced approach, but can yield more precise physics. The ultimate would be to impliment 3D physics for the balls.


how would 3d physics work in construct plugins?
B
10
S
4
Posts: 144
Reputation: 1,246

Post » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Well, there is no plugin for it, and I'd do it all with events. The main difference is it would allow the ball to rotate in all directions like a real pool ball would, so you could get motion near exactly like real pool balls. It would just be the motion, to make the ball look like it's rotating that way is another thing entirely. Look at the wikipedia page about impulse to see some of the math involved.
B
92
S
32
G
109
Posts: 5,290
Reputation: 70,991

Previous

Return to How do I....?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brunopalermo, Phacanu, richcoz81, Txchaser, Yahoo [Bot] and 27 guests