How do you build your levels?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm

[QUOTE=procrastinator] Same here. I just throw boxes around in Construct2 when I have an idea. As an artist, I can't be bothered to draw stuff before I prototype it as I can get into the graphics too much, therefore taking up a lot of my time, before I've even tested if the idea is fun or not!

If it's fun with crude shapes, then it'll be fun with decent graphics.[/QUOTE]

I pretty much do this. if it's a fun game with solid color blocks, it has a lot more potential to be a great game with better graphics tacked on.

You do have to have a strong minds eye for this though.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm

My minds eye isn't all that great and never really thought about the connection tbh. Could explain why I do find it hard to resist the temptation of opening up Photoshop. Sometimes I do give in way too early in the prototype though.

Glad you brought that up. Now that I'm aware of it, maybe I can control my urges..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:16 am

Planning, then testing.

Followed by more planning, and retesting.

I've played enough indie games by developers who decided to just sort of throw things together, and it's not fun in the least. Bloated levels, levels with nonsensical progression, levels that are obviously debug test-room levels, etc. etc. They're all sh*t.

Start making the best, hardest stage you can think of, and start building levels around that.
Level design without the "design" is just pointless.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:01 am

I do a rough sketch on paper (just boxes and lines) to plan out the progression, obstacles, flow, and gameplay theme. Then I often do a rough mockup in-game (boxes or basic wall elements) and then I build from the ground up. If its a platformer, that means all of the ground before decorations--and I spend a good deal of effort making sure parallax layers really add depth while maintaining gameplay. For top-down games, it means all of the ground (and return later for more detail), then walls, then decorations. I've seen plenty of people get so tied up in adding details that they forget to make the level fun/useful. Graphical flare is extremely important to me, but only for selling the gameplay or game concept idea to the player.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:03 pm

Depending on what the levels assets are (I usually do this with tiles) I'll draw a bunch of tiles and cut them out and then place them around pieces of paper.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas