How do you like your controls?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:46 am

Different games require different layouts. For example Demons/Dark Souls has a pretty unusual way of handling what weapon you use and how, but once you learn it (not that hard) it really makes sense.

In general I can adapt to mostly anything (except playing Soul Calibur with a stick, I just can't do it...)

I too am not a big fan about up being used for jumping. I feel it should be reserved for fighter games where it actually makes more sense.

WASD + Mouse for aiming in a sidescroller is something I'm not a too big fan of as well. I find it better to aim like in Contra, where you aim with the movement buttons, than aiming with the mouse. Mostly because in almost every wasd sidescroller, it doesn't seem necessary. Most of the time it feels like the dev actually wanted to make an fps, but couldn't, so he just made it 2D and kept the layout.

As a thought experiment, take one such game and think about how it works, then replace the mouse aiming with Contra style aiming. The game should work just as well, probably better for some. I currently can't think of a game mechanic that requires mouse aiming.inkBot2011-10-21 11:50:45
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:23 pm

Make keys optional. Where I live we don't HAVE arrow keys. I can't play those games.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:45 pm

[QUOTE=Urled] Make keys optional. Where I live we don't HAVE arrow keys. I can't play those games.[/QUOTE]

There's a place where arrow keys are nonexistent?

Actually, if there is no gamepad support, I tend to prefer simply arrow keys for movement, and some easily accessible keys like X and C for actions. WASD only when there's mouse control required at the same time.

I know that's the other way round from the layout of a gamepad, but it has never bothered me. Feels natural.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:48 pm

No. The school has removed them because we shouldn't play games on the computer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I am also a lefthanded person, but I prefer using ASDF for moving, Shift for walking slow or sprinting, STRG for ducking, SPACE for jumping E for USE, R for reload and maybe Q for Toggle last weapon ... =)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General